GO!

What can I do/ use to control puppy's tight curly hair on top of his head..?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 11:34am PST 
Puppy is almost 9 months old and being a shih tzu/bichon mix, I think (?) he must have took after the bichon side, with his SUPER-curly hair on top/forehead..

I am able to comb the hair on his body fairly smooth, with just some wave, but for some reason, the hair on his forehead/head is SUPER-tight/curly, plus previous groomers have kept cutting it short, even though I have made points to mention I would like to grow out a topknot...thinking

So, we are basically stuck now with super-short hair on his forehead/above his eyes, and it is pretty impossible to grow it out bc it gets in his eyes super-fast, and it is really to short even for a super-short 'ponytail' or topknot or whatver you want to call it..

So I guess my next hope is trying to smooth it out. I have used a slicker brush while drying and even a comb, and it still has a funky wave...

I know someppl use gels and the like, is this something to think about...? is he too young...?

It is a STUBBORN WAVE, and being so short, it is pretty impossible to try to smooth it out..and, again, trying to even grow it out is hard bc then it gets in his eyes super-fast...

Any suggestions...?

I have never seen any pics of bichons, or shih tzus, for that matter, with such tight-curly wave on top...

I guess it is cute in a way but I am tired of people asking - or even TELLING - me 'what a cute poodle!' confused
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 10:22pm PST 
Poodle hair is straightened while drying with a warm hair drier which means a lot of brushing. I had to gel my yorkie's topknots when they were young. There is always a change over with hair getting in eyes at first until it reaches that length where you can safely pull it up. Try two small topknots at first over his eyes and in time you should be able to get it to pull back. Some dogs have more curl than others and the really strong curls are harder to get straight but with the right brushing and combing it can be mostly straightened.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 6:44am PST 
Thanks..
It is too short right now even for (2) mini-topknots over his eyes though..
I think I will just groom him myself until the hair above his eyes gets a little bit longer, or long enough to put in (2) mini ones...it is frustrating when groomers do not listen...frown
[notify]