GO!

Anybody else not have to trim nails?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 6:08am PST 
I've never had to trim my dogs' nails. I may trim Kato's dew claws every once in a while because they can cut me pretty good when we wrestle. But he doesn't need it.

Just wondering if anybody else is like this.

Here's Sanka's nail length. Ignore the break. That's healed up.smile
[notify]
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 7:12am PST 
When we lived in Florida, my dogs mainly walked on concrete sidewalks. I rarely had to trim nails. But when we moved to Indiana and they spent most of their time in grass, I had to trim them a lot more. I think maybe the concrete sidewalks acted like a nail file?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 7:41am PST 
Until she stopped running around at age 12 or so I didn't need to trim Sassy's dew claws and rear foot nails but her front feet nails sure got long. All of Max's nails need trimming.
[notify]

Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 10:07am PST 
I never have to trim nails (once in a blue moon I notice the dew claw looking long but do nothing about it and it trims down with hiking)

I also never express anal glands that's another one when some people tell me they take their dog's every month to the vet for it I just look perplexed.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 4:59pm PST 
In our grooming clients I will assume one in twenty don't need nails trimmed. Usually they are dogs built like Sanka with good, strong feet and toes.
The worse are poodles and GSD's whose nails grow OUT instead of down and don't really touch the ground when they are running.
Most terriers also keep their nails pretty well trimmed if they get any exercise at all.
When I had labs I only trimmed them during the Winter. I think it was a combination of the cold making the quick recede AND the lack of solid ground to keep them naturally filed down.
As for the cold making the quicks recede...I always suggest clients whose dogs nails are really way too long come every three or four weeks during the Winter. It usually works pretty well to make those quicks back off and we can get the nails to a good length in just a couple of months without quicking them and making them bleed.
Some people actually ask me to cut them really short even if they do bleed. I will not do it!!! Imagine how painful if you ripped every fingernail to the quick???
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 6:26pm PST 
I grind Grunt's nails once a week. I clip Darcy's as needed.
Toto - I can't believe that people would want you to trim them - even if they bleed! naughtynaughtynaughty
[notify]
Holly Belle

I dream of- Doolin Kingsley

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 2:57am PST 
I never have to trim Holly Belle's nails - as a previous poster said, Terriers often grind their nails down naturally with all their energy during walks/runs. dancing
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 5:20am PST 
Roxies nails have never needed trimming.. They are literally so short that if I tried at all they would bleed. She actually managed to scrape 6-7 nails down to the point of bleeding once when she was tring to get at Trix (sigh).

Beanies didnt need doing up until a year or so ago and thats only because I have stoped walking her as much on hard ground.. Most of her walknig is now on grass!

Its always easy to tell in work when a dog isn't walked, and for whatever reason Cavaliers nails seem to grow at a bizarre rate. We will cut the nails as close as they can and 5-6 weeks later when they are back the nails are basically in their pads again shrug
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 7:11am PST 
Frenchies rear inside toes have a nasty habit of growing right up into the pads almost instantly. Also see that in Bostons and pugs. Even with trimming once a month it is an issue, especially if the dog is overweight which spreads the toes out even more.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 7:49am PST 
I keep Risa's nails nice and short but I still have to trim them. Even though we do most of our walking on concrete/asphalt. frown I use the Dremel on her front nails every week and do every other week on the back ones. Dew claws are trimmed as needed.

Front Feets
Back Feets

Nice and short like Sankas. . .but I don't get it naturally. wink
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3