GO!

Thinning Shears

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 8:37am PST 
I've started doing a little trimming to keep Remy looking nice between groomings. My scissor skills are terrible, so I need to get some thinning shears so he won't look so choppy. I should probably also get some regular shears while I'm at it and not use the ones from the desk. Can anyone recommend a decent brand? I know that professional shears are very expensive, but I don't need that kind of quality. I'd like to keep it under $40 if that's possible.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 1:00pm PST 
I don't have suggestions for brands. I got a pair of cheapy small shears and thinning shears in the hair care isle of Wal-Mart. It works for what I use them for which is giving Lily a sanitary trim on her butt and for trimming up her eyebrows and beard.

Add: In the pet isle of Wal-Mart the sell grooming stuff and they have shears and thinning shears but for weeks they didn't have the dog ones in stock so that's why I got the ones for human hair. Hopefully someone can recommend something better soon!

Edited by author Mon Jan 2, '12 1:03pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 5:28pm PST 
I bought $10 ones and they were completely worthless for Max's thick pantaloons. Then I used a coupon for Amazon to buy $70 Geib Gator thinners. These things are extremely sharp and work all too well. I have to use the cheap scissors on his feet as I have twice sliced him using those things since his feet are tickly and he wiggles. I use them to trim ears, feathers and pantaloons and tummy fringe just fine though.
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 9:15pm PST 
With shears price often does denote quality, cheap shears will not hold an edge well, nor will they get the job done 'well'. Petedge.com sells some nice midrange shears that however are a decent compromise. Their Master Grooming line is a decent bet, and generally reliable.

Maxwell, a safer bet if he'll allow it, on pads is to get a pair of reasonably priced clippers, The cordless Wahl's are a nice option. The Master grooming tool one's are only 20$'s but I can't promise quality since I have not used them. Looks like they also have a set of Oster's for under 50$... This way you will be far less likely to nick feet, and will get a clean crisp hair free pad. Just remember don't dig into the paw with the clippers, use the slicker brush to 'fluff' the hair and keeping the blade parallel to the foot take the hair that sticks out.
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 3:58pm PST 
I'll be watching this post smile I have a pair of the cheap-o shears from Walmart that do the job (albeit poorly).
[notify]
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 6:39pm PST 
One more question ... what is the impact of more vs fewer teeth on a shears?
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 10:07pm PST 
More teeth mean smaller teeth which can/usually does mean a smoother cut. Only cut hair that has been well combed from the root out, and do a little at a time rather than a lot. A few passes with sheers, then comb/look.
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 11:21pm PST 
The top performance brand from petedge are decent thinners for a reasonable price. They are the brand I used first out of grooming school.
[notify]