GO!

Nature's Miracle shampoo?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Min

pink min (pink- pen)

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 8:25am PST 
i don't feed flax seed oil i use a supplement called flaxy dog. it's not an oil. i've used flax seed supplements on myself for years and i have beautiful long hair because of it. i have seen min's coat when she's on it and she has a beautiful luster and her fur feels much softer. i'll have to be careful about that vitamin A in the krill oil. i was told that omega 3 and 6 are a good source of fatty acids and would help min's coat. min is very lean and agile so i think that more fat in her diet would help her coat. although i'm not sure what fatty stuff to feed. so any tips would be great!
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 9:05am PST 
No Maxwell is right about omega 6 and krill. The inbalance of 3:6 is proven to increase the risk of a lot of health problems especially the heart, brain and certain cancers. Dog food is so high in omega 6 now, and it's a scam with some foods and oils to supplement with more. For fat how would you feel about adding a raw meaty bone (RMB) once or twice a week? Pig feet and chicken quarters would be great!
[notify]
Min

pink min (pink- pen)

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 9:32am PST 
we do RMBs all the time! i just wanted specific sources, so thanks adam!

and thanks for warning me about the omega 3&6 guys. i didn't know that, i was told it would help her, not hurt her! i'll remove that from her daily supplements. is fish oil okay to give instead of krill or salmon oil? does it contain a lot of vitamin A?
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 11:18am PST 
Fish BODY oil is what you are looking for. Salmon should be from wild caught but I don't know that other fish oils come from farmed fish. I prefer capsules as those refined oils are very fragile.

The classic coat conditioning food is whole raw egg a couple times a week as the dog tolerates it. Cook it if you would rather. Beef and lamb have somewhat better fatty acid profiles than chicken and pork. You could cook up hamburger and mix a little in the kibble daily for more fat. You could offer the real thing, canned or fresh cooked fatty fish instead of fish oil. If you do add more fat go very slowly as fat can trigger pancreatitis in susceptible dogs. I added *grams* of actual beef or lamb fat to Sassy's food as she tolerated it and backed down if her poop got the least bit not perfect!

Sassy's coat improved once she was eating wet food. You can simply add some water or sodium free broth to improve hydration.
[notify]
Min

pink min (pink- pen)

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 11:57am PST 
how often would i need to give min the canned fish? i was thinking canned sardines, canned salmon sounds like a good idea too!. how often do you think i will need to feed this to give her the dosage she needs?

min loves raw eggs, i'll start adding more into her diet. i'll be sure to monitor her poo like i do when she eats her RMBs, don't want it too hard! (or soft lol) . ground hamburger sounds like an inexpensive option too. thanks again for the help!
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 8:31pm PST 
Mine get canned fish about once a week, and generally when I'm having a rice/veggie night for them which is rare. I used to do whole fish but it is increasingly hard to find, and I don't have time/energy to fish for myself.
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 5:30am PST 
Check out isle of the dogs amazing stuff.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2