GO!

Sensitive skin Keeshound grooming

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Cairo

follow follow- follow!

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '11 9:12am PST 
I have an adult keeshound that was given to me last week. I couldn't get her coat groomed out by myself so i am having the groomer do it.

Anyone know or have tips on how to keep her untangled and groomed? i figured that after she is totally brushed out, i can keep up on her grooming myself. She also has very sensitive skin due to allergies (we are working on that)

I have a slicker brush, an undercoat rake, nail trimmers and a soft bristle brush. Any recommendations for shampoos, sprays, ect?
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Dec 16, '11 6:03am PST 
Some dogs are overly sensitive to slicker brushes so you may have to revise. A human hair brush will often work when used propperly That said the best way I've found with twitchy dogs is to make it a very fun experience for them.

Find the treat that they really enjoy and treat for good behavior. Keep in mind treats are calories and you may need to cut back on food for some dogs. Work on the dog in quarters, I generally start at the rear because it's easiest working from the bottom of the legs up. Use line brushing to make sure you are getting all the way to the skin. [Link] [Link] (in case you aren't familiar with line brushing)

Keep in mind that you don't Have to get the whole coat all at once, however the more you groom, the better both of you will get about it. Don't get frustrated, and if you do take a break, it will do no one any good to get upset. Dogs that haven't been brushed much as puppies will often have to get used to the problem. This is also a good way to make sure there is nothing going on to the skin of thick coated dogs.

First and foremost keep in mind.. Enjoy yourself, make this a quiet time for you and the dog to relax and bond, put on music if you need, or watch tv and brush on the commercials.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 17, '11 7:58am PST 
Speaking of music, we always have Pandora in my grooming room, with mostly soft, quieter songs.
I was just grooming a cat. She started out fine, but suddenly was getting pretty tense. Come to think of it, so was I!!! I realized there was some pretty obnoxious instrumental music playing and it was making ME tense, too. Switched to a different song and we were both relaxed and able to continue with no problems again.
[notify]