GO!

Winter Fur???

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Otis

Champion of- sleeping cutely

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 6:42am PST 
When I first got Oats and he lived outside, he had really, really, really thick winter fur and able to run around outside without being cold while I'm bundled up. Now that I have him as an indoor dog, I noticed his winter fur is getting thinner than it used to be and last year, he doesn't have as thick of a winter fur and got very cold when the temp was low and didn't want to walk when it was snowing. When I went to visit, I noticed him shedding out and the winter fur not being as thick as other years. I bought him a sweatshirt and a raincoat since he was so uncomfortable last year and I just want to know if I should be worried about his coat not being as thick.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 11:27am PST 
It's normal for an animal to grow less of a winter coat when it's not as cold. Their body adapts and grows the coat they need. If he's been primarily inside where it's warm, his coat will be thinner than when he spent most of his time outside in the cold.

I actually keep the windows open in my room during the fall/winter so it doesn't get too warm (but it only gets down to like 40F where I live so it's not like it's ice cold).
[notify]
Otis

Champion of- sleeping cutely

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 5:38pm PST 
OK~ Thanks! I was worried that Oats was becoming less healthy each year frown But I guess he's good!!!
[notify]