GO!

Best brush for a dog with undercoat?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 5:51am PST 
I am getting a new dog in Dec. I currently have all short haired dogs so I just use the Zoom Groom on them and it works great. My new dog has longer/thicker fur than my guys now. He is a mutt but he apparently gets a really thick undercoat in the winter. I have a shedding blade, but it takes forever to get all the fur out of my mom's dog and she doesn't even have much of an undercoat. He's eating Science Diet right now so that could be part of the issue too. What would be the best grooming tools to keep him from shedding so much?

Edited by author Tue Nov 29, '11 7:03am PST

[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 11:27am PST 
I'm not a groomer, but I think the shedding blade (Furminator type tool) is your best bet to remove undercoat. Yeah, it takes a while, but you don't have to do it everyday. I would only use it during the main coat blow to get the loose hair off quicker. For everyday shedding use a pin brush (like you would on your own hair.) There is nothing you can do that will completely eliminate shedding though... that's the joy of double-coat dogs!
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 1:20pm PST 
I know nothing will stop him from shedding...although it would be nice if dogs never shed. I sure wouldn't have to clean so much. I'm sure getting him on a good food will help with it.I think I'll just stick with what I have. I have a pin brush, the shedding blade and a slicker. I used a slicker on him at school(where I'm adopting him from) and he hated it.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 7:38am PST 
In my neck of the woods, southern California, I can give dogs a bath pretty much twice a month and give them a walk to dry off. If you ruffle the fur, comb or brush through every few minutes until the fur is absolutely completely dry it removes vast quantities of fuzz. I would do this for Sassy when she was blowing coat and she would be relatively fuzz free for a week or so. I would hate to do this in the house!

If the skin and coat are in good condition the fur tends to stay put until combed/brushed out better too. When Sassy was becoming chronically dehydrated just before we discovered her kidney disease she walked around with a horrible halo of hair flying around her and was unpleasant to pet as the fur just slid out under your hand. Make sure you are getting the omega 3s, water and plenty of fat into the dog!

A furminating session a couple times a week worked well. Cheaper is a shedding rake when actually blowing coat. I hated and threw out the shedding BLADE, it scratched and was awkward to get into her really good fuzz hiding places. A good long scritching with my soft expensive pin brush following was better tolerated than the slicker. Slickers scratch skin if misapplied and the sound might even hurt dog ears. You could try a metal flea comb but Sassy's fur was so dense it was really hard to do, works great on Max's thin longer double coat though.
[notify]
Skyline & Lilith

The Snow Queen- and Toller Baby

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 4:51pm PST 
My suggestion would be to get an Undercoat Rake and a Greyhound Comb. A double row undercoat rake is hard to beat imo and a greyhound comb will help get out any knots left.
I tend to prefer using an Undercoat Rake at work over the Furminator because I find the Undercoat Rake does just as good of job and is more comfortable to hold. You also have to be very careful with Furminators. Its easy to cause brush burn if you press too hard, same with a slicker brushes.
[notify]
Mayhem

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 6:24am PST 
I give my Golden a quick go over with the slicker brush every day and that's always kept her looking good and without mats or fur all over my house.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 1:05pm PST 
This really depends on the type of coat. Many, many breeds have an undercoat but the brushes I use on my Siberians are not the same as the brushes my friend uses on her Aussies.

Shedding blades are really only good for short, dense fur like a Siberian, German Shepherd, or Lab. Even then, it's arguable how good they are for the fur itself - you can break guard coat and take out too much undercoat. My guys aren't going to be in any beauty contests, though, so it's fine for us as long as I'm careful. For a dog with longer fur, a shedding blade will only break guard hairs, get tangled up and possibly aggravate mats under the guard coat while removing minimal fur.

A comb is pretty standard for longer fur, but again, exactly what type you get is going to depend on the exact coat type. Slicker brushes too, but again, there are different types and techniques for different coats.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Dec 14, '11 1:34pm PST 
The undercoat rake is the workhorse of the grooming world, the shed blades Do work, but they also Do take a while and can cause a lot of irritation.
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Wed Dec 14, '11 9:07pm PST 
When bathing (if you do it yourself) take the zoom groom in with you to the tub. I loosen up a lot of undercoat while the dog is damp/wet with the zoom groom and then once they dry I can either blow it out or brush it out (I normally do both as I have a dryer).
[notify]