GO!

Hate being brushed and bathed!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 7:30am PST 
I use a Mars Coat King on Max and love it. If you want a flat coat on your Poms use it but proper grooming would be line brushing/combing down to the skin. Ask your breeder, watch videos, check out breed websites on how to handle your dogs' fur.

I start my dogs out by handling them all over -especially the feet, ears and mouth - with my hand as a brush. Then I use a very soft brush that cannot possibly do any grooming all over - that gets them used to the big object around them. Then I start with the real thing but do no tugging. And start with very short sessions - 1-4 strokes of the hand/brush and move to 1-10 minutes sessions. It can take me 45-90 minutes to get Max combed out, fuzzies removed, feet and nails trimmed but I started with a couple strokes a couple times a day. Luckily he needs those major sessions once a month or so and it can always be split up, a foot now and another after the walk and so on.
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 9:17am PST 
One thing I've learned from mine is they hate to be carried to the torture chamber (shower). If I let them walk in, there is a lot less drama. Mickey even will wag his tail these days. Jenny still vocalizes, but doesn't try to bust down the door.

I keep promising them the entire time that they get a super treat when we are done and I keep my voice calm and happy (even though I'm sure the veins in my head are popping out).

I'm lucky they don't have to be brushed often. They both think its torture, also.

Spoiled kids.snoopy
Bug

I'm just a- little Bug!

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 10:18am PST 
A girlfriend of mine says that she will take her pom in the shower with her and wash her then. I may have to try that. LOL

They did a little better the last time I bathed them -- I did it in the tub instead of the sink, but they still were very unhappy about it.
[notify]

Evie

I'm fierce!- Rarrr!

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 8:26am PST 
Wicket and I both hate being bathed or brushed, but we're getting better about letting Momma do it. I used to try to climb over her shoulder to get away!
Last time, I just let her brush me with the pin brush and the bristle side, and comb out my mats, except on my tummy. We're still working on that.
Wicket will lie down on his side, so Momma can't reach one side of him. He's getting better about it, too.
[notify]
Bandit

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 5:56pm PST 
I hate being brushed, I am not sure about being bathed. My mommy coerces my uncle into giving me a constant supply of treats while she brushes me. Now she can brush me with one hand and treat me with the other.

She has this plan of taking me to a self service dog wash, we'll see how that works out. Lucky for her I love playing in the water. laugh out loud
[notify]
Riley

Treats?? Oh- yeahhh!!

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 6:14am PST 
Riley thinks baths are the worst thing in the world. I ran a bath for him last week and he heard the water and was cowering in the corner when I came downstairs. I talked to him calmly, offered treats, but he still acted like he was about to be tortured. We end up having to pick him up and put him in the tub. His tail is between his legs the whole time, and he just stands there. He won't sit. He won't take any treats during this whole process. Hubby has to block him from getting out of the tub, otherwise he jumps out the first chance he gets.
[notify]
Hucky

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 10:13am PST 
How can I clean Huck in the cold months? There is no way he will get in the tub. Both me and my husband tried together and at 127 lbs, he's letting us know that he's not getting in the tub. Warm weather is fine. I just fill up his pool in the yard and wash him off. But the poor boy has to go through the winter with no bath.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2