GO!

Grooming Ideas for a Shih-Poo

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Bradford

Barked: Mon Oct 24, '11 11:38pm PST 
I need some grooming ideas for my Shih-Poo, Bradford. I usually keep him long or short all over, but I want to do something different this time. I would really like some ideas on how to do him. I groom him at home and he is really good. He just sits there and lets me do whatever I want to him. So, are there any good grooming ideas for a Shih-Poo? I was thinking of doing him kind of like a Lowchen or Portuguese Water Dog. What do you think? Just shave the bottom and leave the tip of the tail and chest?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Oct 25, '11 12:26am PST 
If it were me...

I'd shave his whole head except for a mohawk and goatee, most of the ears but leave a bit of poof on the tips and edges. I'd leave a ridge down his neck and back with short sides that transitioned into a length of about 2-3 inches on the bottom. The legs would be about 3/4 inches long with shaven pasterns and hocks but poofy feet. I'd leave the tail as long as possible.

Heh, sorry for not being very helpful. I don't know much about other actual styles, just random stuff that pops into my head.
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Tue Oct 25, '11 9:18am PST 
do a shnauzer cut. Had to do one on a poodle a while back due to matting. Came out quite cute.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Nov 1, '11 3:37pm PST 
My friend just did a cool cut on her shih-tzu, she's short all over except the backs of her legs. She's got "fringe"! Makes her look like a cowgirl.
[notify]
Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 3:37pm PST 
I've taken grooming course and gotten my diploma in grooming so my bit of advance is this it would depend on a few things first is 1) what type of coat does your shih-poo have (because they can either have a shih-tzu coat or they can have poodle coat...so if it's a shih-tzu coat you can go with a "teddy trim (this is good for boys and girls!) if it's a poodle coat i would go with the "kennel clip" or "untilty clip" if it has the poodle hair type (meaning curly i wouldnt atttempt to do it yourself because this is quit difficult even for a train professional at first...(i have JUST attempted the poodle clip on my Shih-poo) who is mixed coat! anyways all the best, Dannielle % Barbie
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 4:03pm PST 
Barbie, this post is over a year old, don't think the OP is still waiting for the haircut.
[notify]
Wiliam C

if i see it its- mine,

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 3:37pm PST 
It depends what type of coat your shih-poo has (Some are more shih Tzu and some are more poodle) if your shih poo is more poodle then you can get her clipped with a poodle clip or you can have her clipped with the teddy clip (for shih Tzu type dogs) if you aren't sure of the types of clips or how to do them have a professional show you how to clip before taking them on yourself) or have a professional clip!
[notify]