GO!

Groomer said Bella needs medication to be groomed.

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Bella

I Love to give- kisses and- snuggle!

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 7:59am PST 
Long story short. Bella had a traumatic experience at a grooming place in the Cities. She had burns on her skin and a few days later infection on her skin.

My groomer of 20 years did Bella 2x's since Bella come to live with me full time. My groomer's house/business was in the Minot flood this Summer. House was completely under water except the rooftop.frown

Bella did ok for my groomer. My groomer had her grooming business in her basement. Bella still tried to bite her but somehow she was able to do her.

There is a shortage of groomers in Minot now because of the flood. I tried 3 different places and they won't take new clients because they are so busy. I got an appointment at a different place. I was VERY nervous but had no choice. Roxy did fine. Bella did not! They started on her but had to stop because of her biting, growling and jumping around the table. They said they didn't dare do her. Part of her hair on her body is cut and she looks, well like a mess now. Groomer said Bella needs something to calm her down and wouldn't be able to do her unless the Vet would give her something. I am upset.frown

What do you groomers think? I also bought a grooming set that come with a video to show how to do grooming. I don't know if I can learn to do it or not? shrug Bella has thin fine hair. Oh, I had the Vet cut Bella's nail on Wednesday. They put a muzzle on her to do it.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 8:39pm PST 
Hey Roxy/Bella - that sucks. confused Have you talked to your regular groomer about when she's going to back up and running again?

I know that my friend the groomer gets all the "bad" dogs that other groomers refuse to do. Some of them take her longer, some the owner stays to help, some she only books on the one day a week she has help and the few left over are medicated.

I wouldn't just trust anyone with my dog sedated! I have helped with sedated dogs before some of them shiver because they can't control their body temp, some of them pee on me because they can't control their bladders anymore and some still bite me. Mostly from what limited bit I've seen it just slows them down, some of them will start to drop off to sleep when I snuggle them after a bath and I hear that all of them take BIG naps when they get home! I've even seen one that didn't seem affected at all by the pills the vet gave her.

I don't worry too much here because it's about a 3 minute drive to the vet's if anything did go wrong and my groomer has lifelong dog experince.

If I were you I would have talks with both your vet and groomer before you do this about the side affects, what they'd do if it doesn't work and what if she has a bad reaction and any other conserns you have.
[notify]
Bella

I Love to give- kisses and- snuggle!

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 9:11pm PST 
Thanks Jewel. I haven't been able to get a hold of my regular groomer. No answer when I call. I don't even know if they are in the area or not. I wish they would just do her at the Vets office. I am worried about the side effects. Bella gets cold on a regular day. She likes to lay in the sun.

I will talk to my Vet again. One groomer said she won't do a medicated dog. It's sure a problem. frown

Edited by author Sun Oct 2, '11 9:12pm PST

[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 7:42am PST 
I don't know about your vet but the vet here just shaves dogs right off! They don't care about how they look, they'll even leave some longer hairs in areas because when they shave a dog it's not about looks it's about...health? I don't know what the reason is they look so wild when the vet does them. laugh out loud Maybe because he only learnt how to shave a wound and prep for surgery and most people aren't worry about cute at a time like that?

But maybe that could work for you, she'd be safe and then you could every day or two trim an area and work on her grooming issues slowly.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 4:59am PST 
She just doesn't like being groomed for whatever reason that may be, if you knew the reason you could work on the route of the problem. I would say sedating the poor dog is a bit much surely a muzzle would be first line of action?
Maybe you could go in with her that might settle her, they might not allow that?
I'm no expert now just my opinion but I would try that first. I think that they are about the money and want to do it as quick as possible as little hassle as possible. Dont get me wrong wouldnt like to get bit and wouldn't expect anyone to work like that either.
As its a very tough situation, I'd say talk to them tell them you would not be willing to sudate her(if it is not something your comfortable with that is) and ask would they be willing to groom her with a muzzle or is their anything else you can try first?
Best of luck!smile
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 5:09am PST 
Sorry sipped over that first paragraph, the poor thing is terrified that it will happen again to her and I can't blame her don't think anyone could. If she could settle and see that grooming is enjoyable and that nothing bad will happen her she would stop. That's the hard bit me thinks?! smile
[notify]
Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '11 10:15pm PST 
Burns from being by a hair dryer? I hear so many horror stories about those crate dryers.

It takes baby steps to regain trust after a traumatic experience. If it was a cut ear or painful nail clip, that's hard to forget. How is she with just a regular brush? Is it only the hair clipping that she freaks out about? Or is the bath and nail clipping too? Does the groomer use clippers or scissors? The clippers may scare her. And having a stranger doing the grooming may make it worse. Grooming isn't that hard. I had a shih Tzu and the hardest or most nerve racking parts were cutting around the face. Just start slow and only 1-2 minutes each time. Use scissors with rounded ends. If she's good about it then by all means spend more time.

~Good luck
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Tue Nov 22, '11 9:33pm PST 
burns are more than likely from using a very close blade, clipper burn is better describe as clipper irritation. Think dry shaving your armpit. Basically same thing. As a groomer, most can deal with a biting dog. It's when the dog, tries to throw itself off the table, aka alligator roll, explosive bowel movements, that sedation is recommended. As to caged heat dryers, most shops don't in this day and age. High velocity, (very loud though) or caged fan dryers are used. Heated dryers are usually the stand type. Ask for the last appointment of the day. Most dogs are out of the shop by this time, and groomers have more time to work with your pet. Some shops will let you bath the dog prior. Just explain the situation. Good luck.
[notify]