GO!

Names and pictures of the different types of cuts

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Echo

mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 5:40pm PST 
I am getting closer to finding a future dog for myself, and I only have fluffy, need to see a groomer regularly, type dogs on my list now.

The problem I am having is figuring out what cuts I like best on each of these breeds. One thing I have discovered is, I don't like the show cuts. At all. But, those are the only examples I can find, aside from people's personal pictures that pop up on google searches. But they never say what the name of the cut is, so I'm still lost as to what to tell a breeder how I would like my dogs fur cut.

I would like to know if there is a website that gives examples in pictures and gives the proper names of the different types of cuts for any breed of dog.
[notify]
Augustus- Gloop

Cheese, Glorious- Cheese...

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 10:43pm PST 
many dogs get modified breed cuts, or some opt for "puppy cuts" which just basically means one length all over. A good groomer will evaluate your dog, during check in, going over the coat to check for mats, skin issues, your life styles as it pertains to home upkeep ect and come up with a style.
[notify]
Augustus- Gloop

Cheese, Glorious- Cheese...

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 10:45pm PST 
http://www.groomers.net/ has a lot of photos for you to see.
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 4:50pm PST 
First I'll note, It's Hair... it Will grow. One of the best ways to see what kinds of cuts you like are to try them. What looks good on one dog won't always look good on another.

Now... depending on breeds

Poodle clips :

A-D
E-J
L-M
N-R
S-Z

Bichon Frise :

You can do just about anything with Bichon hair that you can with poodle. They tend to be stockier so don't look as good in any of the more slim line cuts.

Bedlington's :

Same as above. Slender body type though... and softer coat that doesn't "stand" as well.

Those are the the three that come to mind... granted I imagine much the same would be true with Irish Water Spaniels, and Porties...
[notify]
Echo

mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 11:49am PST 
Thanks for the links, they were helpful! wave

I didn't realize there were so many different types of Poodle haircuts!shock Many of them looked the same to me, but what do I know? laugh out loud

One of the breeds I'm really interested in is the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, and I guess what I'd like for them would be something similar to the puppy cut. thinking

I do have another question. I noticed that many of the cuts require the face to be shaved. Do dogs need their whiskers in the same way cats do, or are they fine with having them shaved off with the rest of the fur?
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 1:38pm PST 
Dogs do use their whiskers. Less than cats do (obviously- you can guess that just looking at the length of a cat's whiskers compared to its whole body, versus that of a dog) but they're not vestigial. In one of the dog books I read there was the story of a blind Sheltie that didn't seem to have any problems with navigation- you would never have guessed she couldn't see. Then her owner decided to have her professionally groomed and the groomer cut off all her whiskers! Dog immediately was bumping into stuff and acting disoriented like she never had before. (Anyone remember what book that's from? Patricia McConnell? Stanley Coren?)

Obviously a sight-impaired pooch would make more use of their whiskers than most dogs, I don't think normal dogs really need them that much. I've never noticed Poodles bumping into stuff more than other breeds.
[notify]