GO!

unwelcome breeds??

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 11:09am PST 
Would you take a tiger raised in captivity and compare it to a domestic shorthair? Of course not! Which is why in the same respect you cannot take a wolf "hybrid" and compare it to a dog.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tigers are not genetically close enough to interbreed with a house cat and have fertile offspring. Wolves are a lot closer to a dog, than a tiger is to a house cat. Comparing apples to oranges. There are hybrid cats. Some breeds are the result of crossbreeding house cats with wild cats.

Wolf Hybrids are legal where I live. I know a few people who have them. These I know of are low content, 50/50 and less than that. They are nothing like wild tigers. Much smaller too. I know 2 you can approach and pet with out losing your hand.

There's benefit of the doubt. If the dog is behaving normally and allows you to handle them, then don't even think about the dog being a hybrid.

I would be more worried about in-bred purebreds bought from pet stores with inexperienced handlers.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 12:12pm PST 
Milton - Savannah cats? Bengals? Chausies? Safari's?

Granted they're not crossed with tigers (yet...) but it's still the exact same concept as the wolf dog.

And the exact same legal concerns still apply to their existance.

If someone is going to sue you or your business in court "well, I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt" isn't going to hold up.

Edited by author Thu Sep 29, '11 12:14pm PST

[notify]
Lilith

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 12:55pm PST 
The grooming shop I work at takes in all breeds that are not restricted where we live (which is only pitbulls). We do groom -alot- of aggressive/ fearful dogs and the only reactive/ aggressive dogs we turn away are the ones where the dogs owner refuses to let us muzzle for our safety. So like others here, we go strictly on that individual dog, and not the breed.
Oh and we don't groom cats at our shop, too scary lol

Edited by author Thu Sep 29, '11 12:56pm PST

[notify]

Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 1:35pm PST 
To the OP before I get "off" topic. Look into the legalities in your area and go with your instinct. The clinic I work at that has a full time groomer will groom any dog breed (or cat)- it all goes by the individual animals temperament.

I do know of some local groomers that will not groom Chows, Akita's or certain other dog breeds, regardless.

I can assure you that MOST "wolf hybrids" people claim to have are misrepresented, low-no content DOG mutts...in all honesty, you actually getting a real wolfdog walking thru your doors with any significant amount of wolf heritage is going to be slim-none.

Second, and I will do my best to keep this short and on topic, being a wolfdog owner, there is A LOT of just plain bad/wrong and misleading information on these animals- from both ends. I am sure plenty of people will disagree...most of those have never had any real experince with wolfdogs of different content ranges.

The whole rabies vaccine thing is a load of wolf poo!

It does work and an informal study was done on about 600 animals proving that it does work, JUST LIKE IN DOGS, without any adverse reactions. It was presented to the USDA in which a comment period was held (I believe it was 60 days) and there was so much fire from the AVMA and anti-wolf "hybrid" people the proposal was rejected, leaving many good animals in danger.

I won't even go into the whole "they are confused, feral, wild animals..." If there was an eye-roll face on here, *insert here.* I will mind my manners for now. naughty

EDIT: And I would like to make it know that my animals are treated at my work the same as any other dog. I can do just about anything I want to my animals- though Peto is not too crazy about baths. I can clip their nails, clean their ears, look in their mouths, take stuff out of their mouths, poke at their tummies, hug and cuddle, brush them...you get the point.

Do you know how many regular dog owners bring their dogs in for the above because they try to bite them or are super squirmy or just not very well behaved in general? Do you know how many dogs I see at work, that for even some of the most basic things, have to be muzzled?

Just as a side note- all of my guys are rescues. The only one I had the pleasure of raising from a fairly young age was Reagan at 3 1/2 months. All of my other woofers- Peto I got at a little over 2 years old and he had just been neutered. Lu I have only had for about 3 months and he is 1 1/2 yrs. And my old man that passed away that was THE BEST DOG EVER, was 5 when I rescued him of completely unknown background.

shrug

Are all wolfdogs this good. NO!!! Are all dogs this good...? laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Sep 29, '11 1:49pm PST

[notify]
Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 2:08pm PST 
Sorry, couldn't keep my mouth shut, lol! wave
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 5:44pm PST 
Reagan,
I don't use grooming shops but if my pups are at the vet I prefer they do the nails. Kai is pretty laid back about it but his need filed never trimmed. Mika is a nightmare!! She won't bite but pulls paws away whimpers,whines and makes me so nervous I'll do the ones I can before my nerves can't take anymore,then try to work on them another time. I have told my vets staff to muzzle her if they are worried and they come back telling me she was a complete angel and just peed a little out of fear. Go figure.
Sorry this was OT.
[notify]
Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 9:24am PST 
Mika and Kai...oh, so she has "twitchy paw syndrome" laugh out loudwink

Haha, Lu has a serious case of twitchy paw! LOL! Still a little OT, but it's ok!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 7:44pm PST 
Reagan is that what it's called. When she was a pup and even now we can handle her paws as much as we want.She sees the nail trimmers and it's a whole different story and we've even fed her bags of jerky treats or other healthy foods to make it a more positive experience with no luck. If anyone has an idea short of hog-tying her please p-mail me so I don't have to hi-jack other people's threads.Thanks!

Sorry off topic and to OP sorry for the hi-jack of your thread.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 7:47am PST 
How about don't ask, don't tell?

Put a sign in your window that says, we groom dogs, not breeds. Tell me about your dog and if you want a particular cut,not what he is?

Of course the people with fake wolf dogs probably won't be about to keep their mouths shutnaughtybut it's worth a try?

For instance, I start to tell you that Fritz is a Siberian Husky, you say something like, excuse me, we need to know about your dog, not his breed and I say something like, he has a Nordic double coat, doesn't like his feet handled but has never offered to bite. I go on to say I want him bathed, groomed and his private parts and paw weeds trimmed.

If you worked at it with your customers, maybe you could get most of them not to tell you they have maybe wolf dogs and just take it a dog at a time.

dog walk
[notify]
Fox

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 7:53am PST 
"It was presented to the USDA in which a comment period was held (I believe it was 60 days) and there was so much fire from the AVMA and anti-wolf "hybrid" people the proposal was rejected, leaving many good animals in danger"

And that is a HUGE flippin' problem for a business. Like I said in my first post, it does work - heck, there have been programs for years (decades?) that trap/dart and vaccinate wild wolves to help contain rabies. But it is not legally recognized as working.

That would be like me bringing Fox to a groomer and handing them a 3yr rabies vaccine certificate that expired 4 years ago, then arguing that the Rabies Challenge Fund (and others) has proven the vaccine is really good 7yr to life. It is, but vaccine is only legally recognized as being good for 3 years and no ethical business is going to let that slide.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3