GO!

How to shorten quick?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 8:57am PST 
Kolbe has always had long quicks. Way longer than I think they need to be or should be. I clip her nails about once every 2 weeks, but I can never really clip very much at all, because the quick is so long. What can I do to get the quick to recede? Would something like a grinding tool like a Dremel help, say if I did it every 2 days for a while, getting as close to the quick as I could? I have had people out and about comment that her nails 'look like they could use a trimming' but then I have to bend over and show them they ARE trimmed as far as I can get them. I've never had an issue keeping my other dog's nails trimmed nice and short, but Kolbe has always been another story. Any suggestions?

Edited by author Tue Sep 20, '11 9:01am PST

[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 9:02am PST 
This link kind of answers my question in that yes a Dremel can help. Kolbe weighs approximately 45lbs. Would you recommend all-out going with the Dremel, should something like Pedi-Paws be avoided?
[notify]
Paris-- CGC &- Therapy Dog

Missy Wiggle- Butt

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 9:48pm PST 
I have never used the frequent dremeling method but have heard of people who have used it with success. If she is fine with you dremeling her nails that often then I would try it smile
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 1:56pm PST 
For the cost Pedi-paws in my opinion is not worth it. The batteries are pricey (d batteries) and it does not move fast enough. Granted I have multiple dogs... so Dremel is really my product of choice. You can get the type that plugs or the battery operated one. Either one will work, but they Base cheapest one of them is not worth the money either, the battery life doesn't hold up as well as the next in line version. Add to that, once you have it, it really Can be used for more than one thing.
[notify]
Blake

Don't Look Down- Your Nose at Me

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 11:55pm PST 
I've heard that frequent grinding of the nails can shorten the quick. If she doesn't mind you doing this, go ahead! laugh out loud
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Sep 22, '11 9:47am PST 
Thanks for your input everybody. We are big DIYers so having an actual Dremel/rotary tool and not the Pedi-Paws would make more sense because we can use it for many other things. Plus we have home improvement gift cards soooo... smile I'm frankly sort of surprised we didn't have one already. I don't mind a cord too much so I may go with a corded one to avoid having to think about battery life.
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Thu Sep 22, '11 6:06pm PST 
I would suggest the cordless. The power, of the corded ones makes the nail heat up very quickly. The dremel I have (blue/black) had daily use for 3 years (groom shop) before it died. The maneuverability factored in a great deal when I decided to go with a cordless. Dogs have a tendency to want to move, and cords can get in the way when working on such a small area (nails)
[notify]
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Thu Sep 22, '11 7:08pm PST 
I vote the Dremel; I use a corded one because I don't like replacing dead batteries. I've been using it for awhile and have had absolutely no heat issues. I just rotate nails every few seconds, which you should be doing anyway. My dogs do not move when I do nails so I have no issue with maneuverability.

Edited by author Thu Sep 22, '11 7:09pm PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 23, '11 6:48am PST 
If Kolbe will tolerate the Dremel easily enough to be able to do this a bit every day or every other day, eventually you should be able to get the quick to recede. I found the Pedipaws to be useless on my dog's large thick nails. If Kolbe's nails are healthy, thick and a bit long...I wouldn't even bother with trying one.

It is so helpful that you can see the quick. Lucille's nails are jet black, even held up against a bright light I can't see the darned things. If you don't already have styptic on hand, it might be helpful just in case. I've only quicked her a tiny bit once (with clippers) and thankfully I was so fast with the styptic she didn't even seem to notice anything happened.

I love Dremels for all sorts of projects. They are very useful tools, so get the model you think you're most likely to use for other things and check out which rotary sander attachments the grooming people recommend and get a couple spare disks because you'll likely to be doing this frequently for awhile. There was a thread about that awhile back, I think (not sure if it was in the thread title for searching, though)...
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 9:23am PST 
BJ's Wholesale Club sells a dremel knock off for under $30, complete with all the attachments.
We have one here and use it daily and it's on its fourth year and still going strong.
I got mine for $19.99 but I noticed last week they are now $29.99.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2