GO!

Whitening shampoos?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Thu Sep 1, '11 8:11am PST 
Can someone tell me more about whitening shampoos? How often should they be used? Can you recommend one to me?

My dog is long haired, mostly white, and plays hard. A great combination for him to get a bit of staining on his beautiful white fur. In the past, I would trim his hair and so remove the stained fur. But I think I want to grow his fur out now. But if I take all that time to keep his long hair looking nice, I don't want it to get all stained.

Are whitening shampoos harsh on their fur? My dog has the softest fur and I'd hate to damage it or dry it out by using the wrong shampoo.

Suggestions?
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Thu Sep 1, '11 10:06am PST 
Some shampoos are harsh, it depends.
I've tried a bunch, my favorite is Les Poochs "Pooch Bright" shampoo (funny that it shared a name with my white dog!) It uses gentle brightening ingredients so it's not harsh. It always got my dog REALLY nice and WHITE and made his fur so soft, and I love the smell...
It is a bit expensive but it is concentrated so you dilute it 20 to 1 with water, and it ends up lasting a long time.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sat Sep 3, '11 12:50pm PST 
Thanks so much! I'll look into trying that kind smile
[notify]

Rico Suave

I IS DA EVIL- LITTLE PILLOW- THIEF!

Barked: Sun Sep 4, '11 7:16pm PST 
I use Harts Groomers best whitneing on rico smells great hes always bright white. all whitening shampoos can be a tad drying so use some conditioner if you can especially on papillon ears!
[notify]
Leon

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 7:27pm PST 
I have a maltipoo and his fur gets a bit dark from time to time. We use Any Pets Alpha Dog Series whitening shampoo. It really makes his fur SUPER bright and smooth. It also smells GREAT! You should look into this shampoo. I love it!!! smile
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Sep 12, '11 11:11am PST 
Thanks for the responses!

I'm not really a fan of Hartz products but I will look into the other brands mentioned smile
[notify]
Winn

Baby polar bears- aren't even this- cute!

Barked: Fri Sep 23, '11 6:11am PST 
I was just going to ask the same question, but saw this thread instead. I'm new to owning a white dog, and wanted to make sure whitening shampoo was safe before I let the groomer use it!

Any other tips as far as special care for white coats?
[notify]