GO!

What is the best shampoo that keeps the "dog odor" away for more than 2 or 3 days?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Miss- Attitude- "ATTIE"

"Evil thrives- when good men do- nothing"

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 1:52pm PST 
I have a healthy and happy APBT. She will be 3 soon and it seems that no matter what shampoo I use on her and I've tried a bunch of different ones in about 3 or 4 days the doggie odor is back. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 2:07pm PST 
Natures Miracle makes a between bath spray that we use. It works great to freshen up since Daisy has a very typical houndy musk smell.
[notify]
Miss- Attitude- "ATTIE"

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 10:19pm PST 
Where can I find that spray that you're talking about? Thank you for your input.If we can get it where we live we'll definately try it.

way to goway to goway to goway to godancingway to goway to goway to go
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 25, '11 7:02am PST 
I just wanted to say that's a beautiful APBT girl you've got there! Love those markings...big grin

Sorry I can't help with the spray...maybe check online or a good quality local pet store? Good luck!
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Thu Aug 25, '11 7:23am PST 
I bought mine from Petsmart.

I also have found Amazon caries pretty much everything! laugh out loud

Amazon

ETA: They have a whole line of bath products. I've used the shampoo and liked it a lot too.

Edited by author Thu Aug 25, '11 7:24am PST

[notify]
Miss- Attitude- "ATTIE"

Barked: Thu Aug 25, '11 10:19am PST 
Thank you Lucille....she's a very sweet baby too. Thanks for your sweet comment.

Also thank you Bella and Daisy for the info on the spray. We're going to try to find some around here locally.

Edited by author Thu Aug 25, '11 10:21am PST

[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Aug 25, '11 8:56pm PST 
As long as you are eliminating any health issues (yeasty ears ect. ) I recommend several things. First Lambert Kay's Fresh and Clean is a good product but it won't do miracles.

Make sure you're not leaving outside too long in the heat as the heat will add to doggy odor. Food can be a Big factor in this, even if you're feeding a quality food sometimes dogs don't always do well on different foods. Also if you don't have any cats you can use lemon water wipes in between baths, or baby wipes when she comes in.

Feel free to pick my brain though.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Aug 26, '11 3:15pm PST 
Three things that I have found contribute to doggy odor a lot:

1) Diet-- The diet can affect the way your dog smells. A higher quality food with less fillers and unnecessary ingredients can cause a smelly dog. Also some dogs tend to smell on a fish-based diet. I use grain-free foods with no fillers.

2) Outside time-- Dogs who spend a lot of time outdoors tend to smell doggy. If your dog likes to lay in the grass or dirt this can also add to the odor.

3) Health-- Issues like ear infections, anal glands needing expressing or allergies can make for a smelly dog.

So if you want a nicer smelling dog, keeping those in mind can help. Also some dogs just have more of an odor than others and it is not always easy to fix that. Also bathing a dog too often can sometimes make them smell stronger.

I haven't found any particular shampoo to be better for odor, although they do make some that are especially for odors and have things like baking soda. Buddy Wash is supposed to be good for odor but I haven't tried it, or something like this:
http://www.synergylabs.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=119

I have done a sugar scrub and that helps to get them really nice and clean and get rid of the doggy smell. I found the info on a groomer forum site. I used olive oil and turbinado sugar mixed with a little honey.
This is where I heard about that:
http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat/showthread.php?23017-Any one-sugar-scrub-their-dogs

The best thing I've found to keep a nice smell around for a longer time period is Fresh n Clean cream rinse.
[notify]
Angel Annie

Love my treats,- oh yeah!

Barked: Sat Aug 27, '11 10:28am PST 
I found that Perfect Coat a waterless shampoo that I got at PetsMart, or I think you can order online, works great on our Golden Retriever between shampoos. You might also check that there isn't a hot spot or bacterial infection going on. Sometimes that can make them smell, too.
Good luck.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sat Aug 27, '11 4:16pm PST 
I use Cloud Star's "Buddy Wash" shampoo, conditioner, and spritz on my dog. The shampoo and conditioner comes in a few different scents now, all of which I find pleasant. I especially like that even a week or more after a bath, every time Kit gets wet (from rain usually) his fur smells like his shampoo instead of wet dog.

The spritz is a leave in so you just spray it on their fur and don't have to worry about rinsing it out or anything. It smells nice and conditions their fur. It's great for in between baths when you don't want to go through the hassle of a full bath but want to freshen your dog up.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3