GO!

Pomeranians (Full coat)

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Axel

What Did You- do?!!

Barked: Tue Aug 9, '11 10:05pm PST 
This question is for Pom owners who do not shave down their dogs in the summer. Any research I do re; Pom coats says never to shave so I just keep Axel neat all year round. He doesn't stay outside when its very hot out but overall I think he's usually hot. I'm constantly questioned by many people telling me I should shave him or cut his hair down because "its too hot for him" or "he would be much more comfortable"
What do you guys think, say to someone like that?
I feel like the general population of owners who own dogs with long hair are lazy and don't keep up with their coats so they shave them, or keep them very short.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Aug 10, '11 10:09am PST 
I agree! I feel like how a dog 'looks' according to the breed standard is something that an owner was probably initially attracted to. So for the life of me I can't understand radically changing that 'look'.. if you wanted a short haired dog, there are plenty of short haired small dogs to fit the bill too.. thinking
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Wed Aug 10, '11 1:57pm PST 
I keep my long haired dogs short, but it's certainly not out of laziness. The poor things look like mops when in a full show coat, and I think it can't be fun to run around with that coat swooshing all over. It's a beautiful coat, but not practical for a dog that wants to run around in the mud and woods.

However, a pom is different, and if I had a pom, I would keep it in it's floofy coat, unless it was unable to be cool with it. I'd rather the dog be comfy than cute.
[notify]

Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 9:33pm PST 
I saw this posted in the other part of the forum and I can't help but get a little offended. I -just- got Skyline her first cut ever. Its not a short shave, long enough not to damage her coat, but it was not done because I'm lazy or even because of the heat. She has unusually fine hair for a Pomeranian (even my groomer commented on it) and even grooming her daily with a greyhound comb and slicker brush she constantly gets mats. So I reluctantly got it cut because it was so hard on her and me. I have the same views still on Poms for the most part about not getting them cut if you don't need to, but I think its -very- unfair to paint everyone with the same brush. JMHO
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 12:10pm PST 
I agree, Skyline, that's why I posted what I did. Long coats aren't practical for each dog and each dog owner, and it often has nothing to do with laziness.
[notify]
Crystal

Design jewelry,- not dogs

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 4:09pm PST 
I am a groomer and Crystal is a powder puff Chinese crested. I kept her coat for almost two years as I was going to show her. She was fully combed and brushed EVERY DAY, and had a full groom/bath with conditioner once every week, taking four hours from start to finish.
Even with all this grooming, she was constantly getting matts and trust me, brushing and combing daily was not something either one of us enjoyed!
This Spring, I did reluctantly cut her down. She is a completely different dog, way more happy and playful, and best of all, she doesn't cringe every time I open the brush drawer.
I might also add that I have poodles in show coat. In order to keep that coat matt free those dogs have to live in a run in our boarding kennel. They cannot ever play or run with another dog to minimize damage to that show coat. Even so, they must be brushed daily and given a full groom once a week as well.
It takes over four hours to fully groom a powder puff Crested or a toy poodle in full coat.
Yes, it is beautiful, but so is living a normal dog life and being allowed to play with the other dogs and run thru the fields and woods without having to spend hours on the grooming table after each play session.
I absolutely resent the statement that my dogs are cut down because I am lazy. My dogs are cut down so they can be dogs and not show pieces living in constant confinement. Being lazy has absolutely nothing to do with it!
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Fri Aug 19, '11 3:32pm PST 
I don't think it's always a case of the owner being lazy either.

You can't know every dog. Just because a dog is a certain breed doesn't always mean it's coat is exactly the same as other members of it's breed. I own a pure bred Papillon and his fur is not your typical Papillon fur. I do clip his fur short in the summer, for a number of different reasons, none of which include me being lazy. I also groom him every day, no matter what his coat length is. Actually when I think about it, since I clip his fur myself at home, it would probably be the lazier option for me to just give him a quick brush every day and leave it at that. But I take the time to clip his fur because I do honestly feel that in the hot summer months that is what's best for my individual dog, based on his fur type etc.

I can't speak for everyone - but when I am attracted to a dog breed I am usually attracted to the breeds or the individual dog's personality more so than it's looks. I love Papillons not because of how they look, but because of their personalities. I couldn't care less if my dog looks like your typical papillon or not, I don't love him for his looks I love him for his personality.

I know that in some breeds, like double coated breeds, it can be bad to clip them. I'm not saying I would clip a dogs fur short no matter what - just that I think it's something that should be based on a lot of factors about each individual dog. What's best for some isn't always what's best for others, even if both dogs are members of the same breed.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Aug 19, '11 4:56pm PST 
I guess a little OT but I was thinking about the responses here and wondered about the breeds that had a coat that would make day-to-day living uncomfortable due to things like heat, matting, etc etc.

I never had any breed that needed any sort of trimming, much less a breed that would ever matt, but I wonder if such a coat should even be promoted in a show ring when such a coat isn't even 'good' for the breed, then.

Doesn't the show ring showcase dogs in coat for function or the 'optimal' look? If a companion dog is having trouble functioning or being happy in its 'preferred coat', then what's the point? Seems pretty silly to me..

Edited by author Fri Aug 19, '11 5:00pm PST

[notify]
Riley

We don't doodle.

Barked: Fri Aug 19, '11 6:14pm PST 
Because, sadly, it is a fashion show as well, and that coat is fashion at its best.
When I first started in labs showing a lab with a scar was perfectly fine...it was considered a badge of honor earned from field work. As time went on, sadly that belief went out with the retiring of most of the older judges. Scars now take away from the overall picture and are no longer honorable.
As for the poodle coat... in most cases I have always shown the dogs in puppy coat, which is MUCH easier to keep, and once finished, they could come home and enjoy life with a short clip from then on. Sadly, Riley is co-owned with the breeder who is also my handler so he was always left home for a "paying client" as a puppy. Now, because he is co-owned by the breeder/handler, and will be shown as an adult, he is expected to have a perfect coat.
I rented out his kennel run this weekend and had to bring him home for the weekend. I was almost in tears watching him race thru the house and play with the cat and the other dogs...he is missing so much and, frankly, I am getting old and cynical and am not sure it's worth it!!! I have scheduled a meeting with the breeder and either he starts showing NOW OR I cut his hair off and let him enjoy life and not be a champion! He is a champion already in my eyes!
[notify]
nina

little- dog big- life

Barked: Sat Aug 20, '11 12:01am PST 
one of our childhood dogs was an old english sheepdog. our mommy's mommy got her clipped one summer because she was so hot and wow, did our family catch some flak!
but she was soo happy! she looked like a deer under all that hair and she went from lying on the kitchen tiles, sprawled out in exhaustion to racing through life like a nutcase, so full of energy!
she was thrilled!
her hair did grow back and it wasn't ruined, it came back the same as before.
[notify]