GO!

How much do you pay?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Savvy

Savvy Savverson

Barked: Wed Jul 20, '11 9:20am PST 
We charge 45$ for a small dog in good condition and of good temperament.

We have weekly and bi-weekly clients who do get 30-40$ and most of our clients do 4-6 week schedules for 45$
Matting and dogs who require a large time frame due to temperament can cost you 55$ for a small dog.

Large dogs can be around 75-125$

Hand strips are I think 60-125$

We are a bit more expensive than most shops in the area. But when it comes to this town (and about an hour in any direction) you get what you pay for. This is the third shop Ive worked at (and my permanent location) the things Ive seen are terrible. Especially at the shop that we charged literally a pittance per dog.

If I were not a groomer and had to trust someone else with my dogs the last thing on my mind would be the price to groom my dogs.
[notify]
Jasper

Catch me if you- can!

Barked: Wed Jul 20, '11 4:19pm PST 
I ended up taking Jasper to the same women who grooms Gracie. It was only $26 (without the tip), and she did a wonderful job. big grin
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 12:32pm PST 
I'm a dog groomer and it's not beliaveble how dog grooming can be so expensive at some grooming studios. In my pet saloon full dog groming is between 30-50$ depend of the breed. It's not so important how much you pay, it's all about does the groomer have experience and right tools to take the right care for your dog.

Best Wishes, Daniel dog
[notify]

Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 2:11pm PST 
We love our groomer!! For Molly to get bathed and a nail trim, she charges $25. The same groomer charges $35 - $45 for my sister-in-law's border collie, depending on whether or not she's getting her "summer" cut.
[notify]
Maxie CGC,- TDI

Social Butterfly

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 8:44pm PST 
We're in upstate NY. When I brought them to PetSmart- 50 + tip. Then found a groomer who had his own shop- he was 43. Now I do them myself, and that's OK.

But- the day care they go to has a grooming school, so I decided to try it as it's only 15$. Lily got done this week- Max will be next week. Lily looks great- better than anywhere else she's been- so if you have that opportunity in your area- take advantage of it! For 15$- unbelievable bargain happy dance
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 11:03pm PST 
Dog groomers, for the most part, are underpaid, especially compared to a profession such as a hair stylist for people. I don't think most people understand the amount of effort it takes for most dogs, and the care that really goes into their pet. For the most part, when I groom dogs I spend 2 hours on them (depending on their coat condition and type of coat they have, of course). I wouldn't charge anything less than $50 for a Shih Tzu (shaved down or brush out - depending on how matted the coat is). If it was a small, short coated dog, the least I would charge is $40. This is because I am still spending time on that dog and will still work to deshed that dog. I still need to make so much per month to cover rent and expenses at my shop, plus I need to make something for myself (and trust me it's not a whole lot).

For a Sheltie like mine I would charge at least $60, and if I couldn't groom him myself I wouldn't have a problem paying that to get him groomed, if I knew he was being groomed properly and with much care. I love my dog, I want the best for him, so I see no problem spending money on him.

In my area, this is the norm for pricing for these breeds, and I live in a decent sized area. Toronto isn't far from here, and they charge much more than that. The only places who charge for grooms that are real cheap (anything under $30-40) are usually people grooming in their own home, most of them aren't even a legit business, and they probably haven't gone to school to learn how to properly groom a dog. There's a lot to learn when grooming dogs, and safety is a big part of it. I would encourage people to spend the money to know their dog is safe and being groomed with safe techniques and clean equipment, rather than going to whoever is cheapest where you might get a nice looking groom job, but it might not be safe or sanitary. If you love your dog like I do then you will see no problem with this.

It's the same with every service; there's the cheap place that takes short cuts and is just in it for the money, and the place that charges what they are worth and does it right. You get what you pay for.
[notify]
Maxie CGC,- TDI

Social Butterfly

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 4:26am PST 
Yes- I realized that when I started grooming my dogs- groomers earn their money... and then some! I actually like doing my dogs-But they certainly are not as polished as when a pro does them...
[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 8:25pm PST 
thinking 2011 post brought back to life. Prices seem to be the same.

Rusty is a Cocker, with a calm temperment. I am charged $50 for the short Cocker clip, and usually tip $5. He gets groomed more often than my last dog, as his hair grows very quickly.
[notify]
Katana - (fallen not- forgotten)

Katana's the- name and- pleasin's the- game

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 2:52pm PST 
The one and only time that we ever had Katana groomed was when he had gotten into railroad tar and I was not happy with the way that the groomer did his nails and couldnt get the goo out of his coat we paid $15.00 and I vowed never to take him back because they barely tipped his nails and they didnt get the tar out of his fur I ended up using mineral oil,dish soap and water to get it out.Which was not easy with a 110 pound active doberman.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 4:39pm PST 
Nothing - I'm a DIY kind of gal. I can't imagine paying the 80-100 dollars that a groomer wants to bath, dry and do nails and minor trimming a large breed, double coated dog. That's all easy to at home - I have a booster bath and all the grooming supplies I need (for the price of about 2 salon grooms). Plus, I would really have to trust someone to leave my dog in their care all day and that's not going to happen anytime soon, since groomers don't let you watch them.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5