GO!

elbow has worn off fur.

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Iris Foxie,- certified SD

Mom's wish is my- command

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 1:22am PST 
what can I do for the tiny bald path on Iris's elbow, which always rests on? if I put cream on it she will lick it off. winter is coming, she will need all her fur.dog
[notify]
Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 7:31pm PST 
Sounds like a callous. It's not uncommon in older dogs. My 9 year old is starting to get them. I'd recommend either getting her making her a good quality bed to sleep on, so she doesn't have as much pressure on those elbows. Also, keep putting a pad cream on the callous to keep it soft. Yeah, she'll lick it off pretty quick, but some of it will get in there for her. Only other thing I could recommend, is making sure you're feeding as high quality of a food as you can afford and she can tolerate.

Good luck!
[notify]
Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 5:14am PST 
Dont all dogs have these?
[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 7:27am PST 
Since Sassy came home 15 years ago she hasn't had them. She did when she arrived. It helps that she loves to lay on soft padded surfaces only. If she got hot and lay on the hard floor she might get them again. Max, don't know if I could tell if he had bald elbows or not under that fur. He prefers hard surfaces most of the time. Try a folded blanket or small rug in spots the dog likes to lay if you don't have a bed or even train the dog to go to a bed in a safe spot.
[notify]
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 9:32am PST 
Tohbi has these too- slightly.

I can't figure out how he'd have gotten them. He doesn't lay on anything but the couch or the bed.

He won't even sit on concrete or asphalt - his bumm is too precious for that.

Wierd.
[notify]
Jet (ONYX,- TFFC2, CGC)

Jet set go!

Barked: Sat Oct 3, '09 7:47pm PST 
Jet's only 5 and has them...but possibly because our backyard is mostly concrete, and he seems to prefer laying on hard wooden floors than the carpet. laugh out loud

Riley has them now, but she's 8 and i think that was just from over time.
[notify]
Iris Foxie,- certified SD

Mom's wish is my- command

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 3:00pm PST 
Iris has her own beds, plus uses ours, and the sofa. she also likes to sleep on cool tile sometimes. we found that gently squeezing the area to break up the callous, and applying non toxic cream helps eventually.
[notify]