GO!

Clippering or stripping a Westie coat?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mullen

The Rookie

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 1:38pm PST 
Having always had short haired breeds that needed minimal grooming I need a schoolingpuppy

In you all's experience, is it better coat and skin wise to clipper or hand strip a Westie coat? Will either method really affect whether Mullen's coat is coarser or softer? He lets me brush him now just fine but is there anything else I should be doing? And lastly, does stripping it hurt him in any way (I ask because what I've seen of it looks barbaric and cruel frown, I realize that could totally just be my interpretation of it though)

Thanks in advance for any direction anyone's got to offer me!
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 7:54pm PST 
Stripping is not painfull. You could do either with your coat. I think stripping is better. But if just a pet not necessary. Now it can be difficult to find a groomer that can strip properly as it is not normally taught in school. When and if you can find someone to do this well it is costly as it is alot more work and more difficult to do. Ive shaved westies and it doesnt seem to wreck their coat or anything. I think with stripping it looks more natural, more like what you see in the show ring.
[notify]
Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 3:43pm PST 
Stripping does hurt the dog in the beginning, and continues to be painful in the sensitive areas. If you're not going to show your westie, there is no need to strip the coat. Like the other poster mentioned, it will be difficult to find someone to hand strip and at a reasonable price. Here in Phx one guy who used to show westies charges 90 bux per session. Stripping is an ongoing task. The first few times, your poor little guy will be bald. If you're interested in stripping, I highly recommend contacting your local westie club for info regarding grooming seminars.

If you're having a hard time finding a groomer in your area, contact your local westie club for referrals. You can find a parent club by going to the National Westie Club website. They can offer a wealth of information on the westie breed.
[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 9:45am PST 
Stripping a dog produces a hard wiry close to the body coat. Clipping leaves the soft undercoat. If you choose to clip and you worry about the unshed hairs possibly causing skin problems just go over the coat with a carding tool. I like the look of a stripped terrier but it is more work!
[notify]
Lucy

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 4:13pm PST 
Hand stripping does make the coat courser and more natural looking but if your pup is not being shown it is more realistic to clip the coat. You will be spending quite a bit more money on grooming assuming you can even find somone to hand strip him. I don't know if it is all that painful but the time spent on the grooming table would be much more.
[notify]
Maxemilian

It's a Schnauzer- thing....

Barked: Fri Nov 21, '08 10:34am PST 
If you do strip you dog you do not strip the senitive parts that is to be done by the clipper ( best for terriers ist Esculup) or scissor Even if you go for Clipping you should always Card your dog out so that the Undercoad does not take over. I just adopted a little Schnauzer girl but she is already 5 Years old and her coat is so soft that Stripping is not such an good option for her so I did Card her and Clipp the topcoat. I think that is a good alternative for Stripping. I also feel that her hair gets better so mybe next sping I can see if I can work more on Stripping.

I think Stipping is not only for Showdogs .. Why would a normal Pet not bring joy if it is Stripped. Lots of people that have there dogs as a pet love everything that has to do with there pet and for some that includes Stripping, Grooing, Brushing and so on.
snoopysnoopyhamster dance
[notify]
Mullen

The Rookie

Barked: Sat Nov 22, '08 2:20pm PST 
Thank you all for the great info!

I do think we'll likely just have him clippered. Although I like that classic Westie look I think I like the idea of him feeling softer even more. That and we live pretty rurally so I'm not sure I would be able to find somebody that really knew what they were doing in regards to stripping his coat. I don't want to take him in to someone that simply claimed they knew what they were doing but really didn't and proceeded to hurt him. He's not going to be shown, or bred or anything like that so I think we'll just stick to clippering then if there really isn't any other reason to take the tougher sounding route.

Much appreciated guys!
[notify]
Andy

Sun God!

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 7:27am PST 
You could also use a Mars Coat King to keep your westie tidy. I use a 12 blade. It will keep the coat somewhat hard. If you have any interest in grooming your dog yourself, contact me via email and I can recommend westie grooming DVD's
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 8:48am PST 
yes,
please let me know which DVDs are best.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 2:37pm PST 
Guest, this post is FOUR YEARS OLD!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2