GO!

Inexpensive dog dryer

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Weston aka- Chocolate- Monkey

Wheres my- chocolate- Monkey.

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 5:25am PST 
Well, with our monthly dog grooming bill at $100.00 plus tip and the arrival of a second standard poodle 2 weeks ago we had to figure out a way to cut the costs of grooming. Theres just no way that we can justify putting out $200.00 every single month to have both dogs groomed so we decided to do the grooming ourselves every other month to lower the costs. Sure their faces will be a bit fuzzy for the odd month but out wallets will be fuller.

The problem came in that we needed some sort of dog gooming dryer for the poodles, as trying to get them looking even half way decent with a towl dry and brushing proved impossible for us.

I looked around for dog grooming dryers and seeing that they were priced between $150 and $350 I figured that there has to be a less expensive alternative and sure enough there is.

I went down to the local Lowest home store and they have a shop wet/dry vac with a detachable blower (used to blow leaves and what not in your garden) for regular price of $79, but is on sale for only $39.95 so I picked it up figuring that I needed a wet dry vac at home and had some other plans in my head as I was buying it. The brand name is "ShopVac brand", and it is the one that has a detachabe blower motor, and it advertises a velocity of air flow of 250MPH (and I really have no reason to doubt it).

I returned home, unboxed it and found that I can take the hose that is normally used for sucking stuff up into the unit and attach it to the blower motor. I'll need to find a concentrator nozzle to attach to the end of the hose, but for my trial run I simply put my pinky inside the end of the hose which basically blocked some of the air and forced it out at not only a higher volume of air flow, but also applied just enough back pressure on the motor that it warmed the air a bit. Certainly I wouldn't recommend this for anybody that has to dry in a professional grooming environment but for the home groomer that doesn't want to spend over $150.00 on a pro dryer and that also needs a wet dry vac for around the house, this can't be beat.

You know I don't know what CFM this thing blows at but it dried my full standard poodle in no time at all, and my poodle didn't even pay attention to the noise which in my opinion wasn't any louder (actually sounded quieter) then the groomers dryer when I bring my kids into her shop.

So basically......

Wet / Dry vac from Lowes that has a detachable blower, hook up the hose that is normally used for sucking stuff up to the blower and attach a concentrator nozzle to the end of it (optional) and you have a very powerful one speed (non heated) doggy dryer that works great AND you also have a wet dry vac with detachable blower motor to use around the house and garden too.

If the professional doggy dryers in the $150.00 range had heaters built in then I'd likely just go and buy one, but they also rely on the motor to heat up the air, just like this unit does itself after a few minutes of running, so I saw little point in spending $150 for a pro doggy dryer when this unit is compact, powerfull enough to blow the water out of my poodles coat, and does exactly the same as the commercial dog dryers that are in the price range of $150. for -$110 less!

Definite bargain and ... We've now learned that the trick to a fluffy poodle coat after grooming is the blow drying. It is what fluffs up the coat and which a person will rarely get by towl drying and brushing it out. How I ever managed to get along with out a blower to dry the poodle I'll never really know. What a pain it use to be to try to towel dry the poodle after a swim even. Now it's a simple 15 to 30 minute process of just blowing out the water from his coat until he is fluffed back up and looking great again.

Hope this helps for anybody that is looking for getting a dog dryer for home use but doesn't wish to spend the $150.00 to buy one.

Edited by author Sun Dec 9, '07 5:39am PST

[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 6:13am PST 
O wow! Never thought to try something like that. Thats kinda cool idea.
[notify]
Weston aka- Chocolate- Monkey

Wheres my- chocolate- Monkey.

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 7:47am PST 
The only thing I would caution against, would be if you buy a reversible wet dry vac, they are the ones that you can reverse the motor so that it blows out of the nozzle instead of sucking in. If you actually use it for sucking up dirt and debris, and even if you clean it, they seem to get a funky smell to them, so it's probably not a good idea to use that kind if you use it for regular cleanup duty as a dryer for your kids IMO of course.

Anyway, I've spent way too many hours searching places like ebay and specific grooming sites looking at the different blowers that are available this morning (up by 2:30 am with the new puppy) and the more that I look, the more I like my own psuedo dryer.

I also forgot to mention that with this particular shopvac brand of wet dry vac/blower there is also a small attachment with a flat design that comes with the unit, this can be attached right onto the detachable blower without using the extension arms, and it really puts out some huge volume of air and is great for the body region (don't use on face or head, it's just too much air, use the nozzle for that since the amount of air when using the hose is greatly reduced compared to this other attachment) and really pushes off the water very fast and does wonders at fluffing up the coat.

I'll try to get some photos and see if I can find somewhere to post them to the internet and leave a link so that people can see what this thing looks like and it's attachments since Im terrible at describing things.
[notify]

Latte

Fetchaholic

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 10:16pm PST 
Sounds like a terrific idea. I like multi-purpose items and Latte needs a new dryer.

Which of the wet/dry vacuums on this site is most like yours:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=553022
[notify]
Ginny

Loving Life

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 11:32am PST 
I now use the same thing, and I use the crack and crevice wand to concentrate the air with. It's really invaluable, even though I'm still new to it. The real test will be this fall when they start blowing. I'm curious how well this will blow out their coats.

I've recently adopted a Border/GSD that will blow something fierce, but nothing like my chessie/husky mix did. Anwyay, I look forward to trying it and I was wondering if anyone else had an update on how they worked for you.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 3:01pm PST 
I've been using and recommending this for years smile I have a small one that I adore as it is lightweight and I can put a scented wax cube in the bottom and it blows a very lightly scented air onto the dog. Mine was purchased strictly for dog use as these things can get kind of funky smelling if anything sits in them (although mine does seem to pick up stray fur flying around lol!). I use the crevice cleaner as I prefer the more concentrated blow on the fur - I also purchased an 8' long hose as the standard 4' hose that came with it was a bit short. I can thoroughly blow out three Aussies in less than 15 minutes, and I can dry the heavy coated girl from drenched to dry in about 15 minutes.
[notify]