GO!

Nails Clipped Too Short

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Cooper

My Mama loves- me.

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '07 4:03pm PST 
Cooper's nails are black also. He isn't thrilled with getting his nails cut, but tolerates it. He doesn't mind the dremmel too much, but hates the clippers. I think it's the actual clip of the nail and the noise the clippers make that make him so nervous. We've been lucky that his nails have never been cut too short. I had an awesome groomer before we moved and she was so good with him by talking to him softly and petting him.

I recently took him to a new groomer and they actually took him into another room while I stayed in the waiting room. I was really nervous about me not being able to see him. They did a good job on his nails. But it still made me nervous that I couldn't see him. I'm not sure if I will take him back there. I don't like not knowing what's going on in the back where they are doing the grooming. But it couldn't have been too bad because he let them put a bandana on him!

I hope poor Boo feels better soon!!hug
[notify]
Ruby

Im not fat! Its- fluff...

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 4:53am PST 
Poor baby!!

As much as we love our groomers cuts, I now do Ruby's nails at home. Ive got the benefit that her nails are clear/white but I make sure to have my Hubby close by to hold, praise and distract Ruby (a little puppy kong paste works miracles) while I 'do the deed'.

The drill thing looks scary! I hated the dog nail clippers, so since Ruby's so small I use human nail clippers. A good pair seems sharper and does a cleaner job than the dog ones. I also use a fine grit nailfile to clean the edges up.

Always keep a jar of Styptic Powder at home for emergencies. Its not only good for clotting nail bleeds, but we found it works great on little scratches.

I wanna give your little 4-legged friend a hug and tell them its ok

snoopy
[notify]
Clutch(King- Clutch Of- Westport

AKA..I'M letting- you pet me!!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 2:08pm PST 
It really depends on how bad you cut the quick weather it bleeds alot or not. If your at home and hit a quick put flour on the nail that will stop the bleeding. My friend thought she would be a good mommy and went to cut her dogs nails while I was over and she chopped the dogs nail bad. I told her to grab the flour and we got it to stop.big grin
[notify]

Diesel

"Love me!"

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 3:41pm PST 
Can anyone give me some more information about the "dremel" tool?
[notify]
Boo

Life: Snack,- Snuggle, and- Sleep

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '07 6:18pm PST 
Bumping this up for an update on poor Boo.

Today, the PetsMart folks could not trim his nails at all. 3 people were unsuccessful at the task. He was so traumatized that his tongue turned blue! I had already paid for the service but they refunded my money.

When we got home, I held him on my lap and was able to trim the bare ends off of his front paws. It wasn't easy but we got through it without too much anxiety. I'll do a little more in a couple of days.

I am so mad at that groomer for doing such a miserable job on poor little Boo. Nail clipping is not rocket science. Anyone with an IQ should know not to trim off 2/3rd of the nail!

I have to start all over to build up his confidence. I wish he would respond well to dremmels. He freaks out at the sound and vibration so I have to use regular clippers. I will also try using a nail file

The moral of this story is --
1. Always, always be very direct with groomers. Tell them EXACTLY what you want them to do

Trim the nails -- don't cut them,
Be patient with the dog. If he wiggles -- STOP until he is still
Be very careful with EVERY procedure and if you are unsure about something -- STOP

2. Private groomers can be just as bad or WORSE than the Petsomethings groomers. Don't let their "private" status fool you.

3. If you have the time/money/desire to do your own grooming -- DO IT!
[notify]
Jade

Slurp!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '07 10:23pm PST 
This groomer obviously didnt know what they were doing. Even with black nails a groomer should know where and how to properly trim a dogs nails. Granted, those that are unkept tend to have longer quicks as trimming nails regularly maintains the length of the quick. They should also have a styptic powder (kwik stop http://www.absolutelygolden.com/images/Kwik%20Stop%20Styptic%20Powde r%20-%20Gimborn2.jpg) which usually stops bleeding immediately but bad cases wont stop immediately, or will begin again at home or if they've been on a rough surface. An at home remedy for this is also flour, just a dab on the end of the nail, press it in just a bit and you should be good to go. If it continues to bleed apply another coat. Peroxide on a cotton ball can help bad situations also, which will also help get blood out of a dogs coat (hair around the nail).

Trauma due to nail trim- I've seen all too many cases where a dog remained traumatized due to an improper nail trim. In your case, hes skiddish as you said. But seems on his way to recovery. Continue getting him comfortable with his feet touched again. Starting with just tipping is a good idea and based off his response from that, go from there. Always be sure to tell a groomer, even if you're a repeat remind them, about his bad experience. I've seen many dogs who are well behaved for baths and haircuts but want to be biters for their nails due to past experiences. In which case they have to be shown, retrained, that it doesnt hurt when done right. Back to the black nails- there is a curve which every groomer should be well aware of as the cutting point. This should help you understand what I mean- http://www.futurepets.com/nailcare/nailcare.gif

Hope your lil guy comes out ok and you found this information helpful.

As for the price of $10, was this to cut the nails? Was it the total for all procedures for both? Did they not get baths? Two hours seems a long time for something that could've taken 5-10 minutes while you waited if they did not receive baths. And just as an FYI, here in FL a FFT, feet face and tail( even if its just feet and face), is $25 and thats with a nail trim, bath, ears, and glands. It's just like a sanitary (which includes shaving the potty area-$25 with above mentioned included. It's exactly that, for sanitary purposes. Otherwise, just a nail trim is $5 for small animals and $7 for large.
[notify]
Boo

Life: Snack,- Snuggle, and- Sleep

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '07 3:14am PST 
Excellent post -- thanks!

The $10 was just for the nail trim for both of my little guys. Frankly, I now think the time she made me wait was to make sure the bleeding stopped! She claimed it was because she was watching dogs at the day care center and had to work my dogs in.

I played with Boo's feet again today and plan to every day I can. In a couple of days, I plan to clip off the edge of his nails again because his nails are skimming the ground -- not good.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 12:03am PST 
Can dogs get nerve damage from having their nails cut too short? My little Billy seems to be having lasting affects. Should I worry?
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 12:04am PST 
Can dogs get nerve damage from having their nails cut too short? My little Billy seems to be having lasting affects. Should I worry?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2