GO!

Nails Clipped Too Short

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Boo

Life: Snack,- Snuggle, and- Sleep

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '07 8:18am PST 
This is related to the abuse thread but a little different.

I took my gang to the groomer yesterday for face & feet shaving (Latte) and nail clipping (both). It took her a couple of hours to work them in. The total was $10 -- more than reasonable.

However, Boo's nails were clipped very, very short. Being a Min Pin, the nails are black so you can't see the quick so I have seen groomers cut too short and there was a a lot of bleeding. When I picked him up, he was fine (no blood) but a little "skiddish" . He was back to normal this AM.

Here is the question. If a groom cuts the nails too short, I know there are ways to stop the bleeding but how long does it take before a dog feels better?

Are there any long-term effects?

(When I got Boo, he wouldn't let anyone touch his feet and it took a month or two for him to relax and accept the fact that I will be touching his feet.)
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '07 9:24am PST 
Sad to hear Boo got his nails cut too short. Were they very long to begin with?

I don't know exactly how long it takes for the soreness from short nail clipping it takes a dog to feel fine. It has been a while since I cut my nails very short, but I can recall at least a day of discomfort and maybe several days there after when I hit it on something. Maybe the same for a dog? Some products that stop bleeding also have an ingredient to help with some pain, if I recall.

The biggest long term effect I can see from this is increased shyness to having ones foot touched. Did they cut all his nails short? If they did, they probably had quite a tussle with him. He may not like going to the groomers again. Now I can see a nail or two being short, but if all the nails are, wow. That is nuts. But there are some groomers who will cut the nails that are too long and hit the quick on all of them without flinching. While there are other groomers who don't want to hit the quick and try their hardest not to, but an occasional one here or there might happen, but the point is, they try to avoid hitting the quick.

I hope Boo is feeling better. Just keep in mind he might be paw shy again.
[notify]
ACE

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '07 9:25am PST 
the only long term effects would be that he is scared for more nail trimmings, and may not want to be handled by the person that did it. when the nails are quiked, it isnot always that painful for a dog. it is closely related to breaking a nail if you are human. some dogs will just stand there if you get the quik, while others will scream. then you have the dogs that scream, but dont even notice the quik was cut. a few quiked nails is not a big deal, but all of them? that is a sign of someone who does not know what they are doing.

however if you are the one telling them to do this, you need to stop. if the nails are too long, that is a sign that you are not regularly taking care of them. if they all need to be clipped past the quik, then the dog should be put under for it so they are not in any pain. any groomer who would do this for you is very uneduacated (i am a groomer and would never do this for you). if you do not want to put the dog under, then the quiks can naturally be pushed back by trimming a little off every week, or every other day. imagine if someone broke every single one of your fingernails until they all bled. that is exactly what you are putting your dogs through

Edited by author Sun Oct 28, '07 9:29am PST

[notify]

Boo

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '07 12:05pm PST 
Thanks for the feedback.

No, I never told the groomer to cut his nails that short. I told her to trim both of my dogs' nails. The poo was done properly but you can see the quick of a poo's nails. However, the hairs on the soles of his feet were not removed which is expected when you request "clean face & feet". This is another case of a poor independent groomer.

Boo's nails were not long. I've had his nails trimmed regularly since I rescued him 15 months ago. His former owners never trimmed his nails and claimed that "he wouldn't let them touch his feet". I worked with him by just playing with his feet while cuddling. I then took him to a PetsMart groomer and told them to just take off the ends. Each week more and more was clipped until it reached a length that could be maintained every 2 weeks.

I bought a dremel so I could do it myself but Boo doesn't like the vibration. It is good to have outsiders handle your dog anyway so I made it a every 2-week ritual to get nails trimmed professionally.

Unfortunately, I moved and thought I'd try an independent groomer who made them all nubs. I don't mind the length and I will maintain it since in 2 weeks he'll get it trimmed again. However, I'm worried that he won't want to get another nail clipping.

cry
[notify]
Bluebell &- Azra

Who's calling me- a Poodle?

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '07 8:22pm PST 
I'm sorry that your experience was less than stellar (both for the quicking and the poorly done clean feet). I think Boo will get over this experience, as it sounds like you have already and are continuing to do a lot of work to socialize him and get him to accept grooming. I would try to keep him off of pavement and other rough surfaces for a few days to allow the nails to heal over the nerve endings. Try not to worry too much about it; LBuebell's breeder quicked her nails back every week until I adopted her at 6 years old, and she accepts nail trimming and grinding without hesitiation. I am postive with your hard work that Boo will get over his fears. I might suggest trying another groomer and mentioning Boo's history to them. Keep up the good work way to go
[notify]
Boo

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '07 10:34pm PST 
Thanks Bluebell. Good to know that this shouldn't scar him for life. I will definitely try to keep him on the softer surfaces for a while. Poor little guy -- what we put them through!
[notify]
Bella

"Throw the ball,- throw the- ball...

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 6:53am PST 
We can't trim Bella's nails anymore. After cutting them too short (they are all black) she won't let us touch them now.

When we trimmed them, one nail bled for a long time and we had no stiptic powder. It was very traumatic and Bella is a bit of a drama queen anyway, so now we have the vet do it.

Next time you take Boo to the groomer, make sure to tell them to just trim the very ends of the nails so they are blunt but not too short.
[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 10:51am PST 
careful with saying something like that Bella. some groomers will just take the very tips off nails then, even if there is a considerable amount that needs to come off (that is a large amount that can come off and not hit the quick). some can be very literal so make sure you clarify. another thing you can have them do is, as long as the nails don't grow too fast, have them just dremmel instead of cutting. it's much easier to gauge with the dremmels
[notify]
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 11:17am PST 
My mistress used to hae a Cockiteel named Rex. I know it's a bird, but it may help. When we clipped his nails too short we got a cloth, powder, and put the powder on the cloth. We placed Rex onto the cloth, and petted him & said "Stay on the flour."
[notify]
Boo

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 10:16pm PST 
Good idea Bella. We'll start as we did a year ago -- taking it slowly just trimming the ends until he starts trusting again.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2