GO!

Greyhound Grin?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ali

The Cuddly- Hellhound

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 4:49pm PST 
I recently adopted a dog from a shelter, and she is very clearly a large part greyhound (or at least a very similar sighthound). She has the markings and face of a catahoula leopard dog, but the legs, neck, tail, back EVERYTHING of a greyhound.

Anyhow, my query is this:

When we first got her (she was a rescue dog from a hoarder, very skiddish, very low hopes for this dog), she would do this thing where she would curl her lips up in a 'smile', usually while sneezing, ALWAYS while going nuts with her tail.

The shelter had seen her do this too, and had thought she was smiling until a volunteer said that was a nervous tick. That's what I thought too, until I looked closer.

She NEVER does it when scared, it's almost always when we're playing with her, singing at her or coming home after being gone for a while.

I've heard that some greyhounds 'grin', but I can't find much info or pics of it. Is that true?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 4:04pm PST 
Greyhounds to "Grin." It's just as you described -- they pull back their lips and show their teeth. Sometimes this is in the morning as they lean over you to wake you up. This can be a little disconcerting, since it can be mistaken for a snarl. But it is a Happy Thing for them.
[notify]