GO!

Is loose stool common is Swissys?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 9:59am PST 
I have a 3 year old male Swissy that has had loose stool problems his whole life. I just assumed it was normal for him. He rarely has a good solid stool and it is often on the softer side. Over the past couple weeks I have noticed a few drops of blood in his stool at random times. I took a sample into the vet and all the test results came back negative, so I was able to rule out any parasites. I'm thinking a diet change is in order. He has been on Blue Buffalo his whole life and we recently switched to Innova (both have chicken as the main ingredient), with both he experienced the loose stool problems.

He isn't pooping excessively (about twice a day after each meal) and his whole life has seemed happy and healthy, so it was never cause for concern for us. But as I was researching the blood in his stool I came across many articles stating that loose stool is never a good thing and something should be done about it.

A few other abnormal things that have been happening lately is his eyes seem a little extra goopy and he has a yeast infection in his ear that we can't seem to get rid of. Signs of a food allergy perhaps?? Beside that he isn't showing any other side effects.

The problem I find with the Vet is that he isn't a Swiss Mountain Dog expert. Doing my own research I have found that loose stool can be a common problem in swissys.

So again, my question, has anyone else noticed this problem in their swissy? and what would be a good diet option to have him on?

Thank you!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 10:57am PST 
My swissy seems to have pretty solid stools. I would reccommend a food change. I had a mastiff once that I fed tpo dollar food to. His body couldn't digest it properly and he never had a solid stool. I kept switching his food but still sticking the the high end brands. I asked my mom to dog sit for me for a few days and she started feeding him regular dog chow. I was furious that she changed his food without telling me but it made his stool solid and he seemed happier about eating it. So I kept him on it!! Obviously its not the greatest and they say its not good for them but hey, he liked it and it saved me a few bucks! Hope this helps! Let me know what you decide and what your outcome is!!
[notify]
Brunson

Beware of dog:- He is very- sarcastic

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 7:40am PST 
Loose stool is very common in Swissys. They have a sensitive stomachs. I administrate a GSMD group on facebook and everyone seems to have this complaint. Mine has always struggled with loose stool. I know most will say that changing to a raw food diet will solve the problem but not everyone can afford to do that. I have found adding some canned pumpkin or carrots to their food helps solidify the stool. Also avoiding high fat treats like marrow bones because the fat softens the stool. I have just decided not to worry about it. As long as it is not affecting his bathroom habits or seem to be causing discomfort.
[notify]

Jules

Barked: Sun Feb 23, '14 8:02am PST 
I know this thread is old but I thought I'd put my two cents in. Our pup, Jules, was the same way. Loose stools and gassiness that would linger lol. I had someone suggest that her food was too "rich" for her sensitive tummy. We switched from dog food that contained chicken to food that is grain free and lamb. It was like night and day. She has solid poops which obviously makes the cleanup easier, and she rarely has the toots that make your eyes tear up! I can tell when she's had treats that contain chicken because her stool softens back up and she has bad gas again.
[notify]