GO!

Anxiety with thunder and fireworks........

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Duke

THE GREAT WHITE- HYPE!

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 1:35pm PST 
I recently adopted a 5 year old female Great Pyrenees. She has extreme anxiety with loud noises particularly with thunder and fireworks. I tried the thunder shirt and it doesn't seem to help. They've already started lighting off fireworks in my neighborhood and I think she now associates nighttime with loud sounds. She will not go out at night anymore even when there are no sounds. I have to pull her out the door and she when she finally does go out, she walks extremely slow and is panting heavily. She won't sniff the ground or even attempt to go to the bathroom. It's like she is just going through the motions. And I'm sure she does have to go to the bathroom and will hold it in until the next morning which worries me because it's unhealthy and also in case she has an accident inside. Any advice is greatly appreciated. shrug
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jul 21, '13 10:23pm PST 
I have a 4 year old Great Pyrenees he is not bothered by fireworks
But goes running like a possessed beast to catch the storm. I am afraid
He will hurt himself. My vet prescribed an anti anxiety pill. Works if I catch
It before the storm hits. Before that I used Benadryl He comes back in covered in dirt
The coat dries and seems to be clean but I have to bath him. He doesn't seem afraid just
Proud like he is protecting us. He checks to see we are ok and runs out again to chase the
Storm
[notify]

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 11:48am PST 
Got my Pyr as a puppy and been trying to talk its own language since...

While he is more than OK with thunderstorms...
(He was raised by the breeder with his dam in a "barn" outdooor shepherd living environment till 11.5 weeks old when we got him... already was exposed to thunderstorms since it was also just storming when we are driving up to get him)

His first firework did get him all worked up at first...
(Worried growls and bark at the lightshow displays; fireworks are often seen from our deck, our Pyr's domain)
Of course mommy have to calm him down by "shaking my butt" as would he when he is happy greeting (wagging his tail), panting with tongue sticking out like him when he is happy, "play bow" copied from him when he wants to "play"... and my action got him to "fetch" a milk jug (his favourite toy) to push that jug into my arm to play with him...

Fireworks forgotten and no longer a threat.

Dogs can't talk human like in one of the extreme pet home owner says...
If you love your dog/ horse (he has a pony "dwarf horse"), learn their language and communicate back in theirs.snoopy
[notify]