GO!

In need of help with crate/staying home alone training !!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Turbo

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 10:33am PST 
I just got a 6 week old great dane puppy a few days ago. I am aware that it is still a little young to take away from the mother. He is my first puppy, I know they cry a lot at first. But when Turbo no longer has my bofriend or myself in ssight, he goes crazy! I swear you would think someone was beating him.. I have a week off from work to start the puppy off and get him comfortable here. We do live in a large apartment, and I am scared that when we go back to work, he will disturb all the neighbours. We will be having someone to let him out to the bathroom and stretch his little legs every few hours. But I don't want a dog that will never be able to stay home alone. Any advised on what I should do at this point?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 3:55pm PST 
It has been a while since I have had a puppy, I currently have 2 danes an 8 year old one eyed male and a 2 year old deaf female. We just got the deaf dane in july and had the same separation anxiety. It took much longer than a week to break her of it. We simply started out by leaving the house for 10 minutes then coming back in. then we would work up to 20 minutes, 30 minutes, a shopping trip, etc. they need to know that you will be returning and after a while they will be OK. It is important that the person you put in charge comes to the apt at the same time daily, just like a child they need to be put on schedule if you are ever going to have any chance of making a good apt dog out of her. once trained they will sleep a good part of the day, but it is extremely important that they are exercised daily. a dane that decides to take a romp through the apt can do major damage. You may even try doggie day care if it is affordable. My daughter has two New Fouindlands she got them at 8 weeks and has used that at times and it does well to socialize the animal, but you need to see at what age your vet recommends her being able to do this Hope this helps. hang in there this is a great breed of dog and are very lovable and gentle once you are through the puppy stage.
[notify]