GO!

Putting good weight on young male Great Dane.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 6:39pm PST 
I have a young blue male who just fathered his 1st litter of Dane pups. Although he meets the breeding height requirements his weight has been dissapointing. He is still growing at 18 months just not to my satisfaction. Any suggestions. Diet - exercise - supplements?
[notify]
Torque

Terrific Torque

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 10:58am PST 
Don't be too concerned, 18 months is still quite young. He will continue growing up and out till around 5 years. He has a lot of growing to do and sometimes will look too skinny or plain not big enough. Feed him quality food with 21% protein as directed on the bag or by the vet. He will grow into his personality at his own rate, trying to speed up the process could cause problems.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 4:06pm PST 
we rescued a 7 year old male dane that was severely under weight In a matter of 8 months we had him looking good. first we feed twice a day, dividing the total day consumption in half, a total of 4 1/2 cups per day. we use large breed dog food with a 5 star rating and mainly meat or chicken based instead of corn and corn meal. we have two danes, they are walked in the morning and then a gain in the evening, but we always wait one hour after eating and never let them drink a lot of water before or after any exercise. once a week we take them to a park and if no other dogs are around we turn them loose and let them run for about 15 ninutes,then we walk to cool them down. It has really put muscle on both my male 8 year old and my 2 year old female who also came to us at about 84 pounds in july. she is now 115 and very athletic looking, the male is 138 and the vet says that is perfect for his stature. good luck and congrats on his fatherhood status.
[notify]