GO!

Knuckling Over! :(((

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Blaze

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 2:49pm PST 
Blaze is a maybe 7 year old Dane/St. Bernard mix. When we adopted her from Arkansas Great Dane Rescue they thought she was 4. Unfortunately she came from a shelter so there is no way they could know for sure. We have had her for 3 years so that puts her at at least 7 and she is showing some grey. Needless to say she is slower to get up and you can tell that age is getting to her. This morning she started knuckling over with her back left paw when she walks. She will drag it and sometimes adjust it to the right postition but not always. The Vet was unable to do xrays yet as she is too big to get on the table without assist and we were unsure if she had eaten today for the sedation. They prescribed Rimadyl 150 mg BID x 6 days. Will this help? Has anyone experienced this before? Is it that old enemy arthritis catching up with us or has someone else had experiences with a neurological something? Any advice would be wonderful! I am not ready for my baby to be sick!
[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Wed Mar 17, '10 12:23pm PST 
Sorry to hear that sweet Blaze is having issues. Did your vet mention Degenerative Myelopathy at all? Does there appear to be pain or does Blaze not mind? What did the vet mention as possibilities?
[notify]
Gino

It's all about- the cookies!

Barked: Sat Mar 20, '10 10:26am PST 
So sorry to hear about Blaze and her knuckling problem frown Have you had any conversations with your vet about Wobblers? Knuckling is a common symptom of the condition, as the vertebrae in the neck put pressure on the spinal cord, affecting limb function. Our Dane, Gino, was diagnosed with Wobblers in 2008. He was not knuckling at the time, but he has started doing so over the past couple months.

Best of luck to you smile I hope for the best for Blaze!
[notify]

Isy

Anything if you- just throw the- ball!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 4:34pm PST 
I agree it sounds like maybe Wobblers.

I mainly posted to suggest a Dane specific forum. I don't know if we are really supposed to refer to other forums. I apologize Dogster HQ if not!! Try joining over at Danes Online Forum. They are everything Dane. There are several regular posters that I know would be able to help with your problem. Its dolforum.com

HQ please pull my post if this is not allowed.
[notify]