GO!

Gordon Setters and Cats

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Cooper

Cooper - Big, beautiful- doofus!

Barked: Mon Sep 15, '08 4:15pm PST 
I was thinking of getting a cat. Any thoughts on how my typical Gordon male will respond?
[notify]
Ridge

Let's Go For a- Run!

Barked: Tue Sep 30, '08 1:53pm PST 
Hi Cooper and Co.,
My owners had a cat while they had their first Gordon pair. It was a smallish cat, but a 'country' cat, tough and independent. Their female GS (my grandmother) was tolerant and gentle, they played a little from time to time. Their male GS (my grandfather) was anything from indifferent to annoyed by the cat. He tried to 'play' sometimes but I don't think the cat saw it that way. Grandpa was big, too, over 100 lbs. at his prime, and he didn't mind teaching the cat who's boss. They would 'play' very roughly together now and then, until the cat removed himself from the area. The cat never did claw him, so there must've been some understood rules, but still...They got the cat at a very early age so the only life it knew was with the big galoot and his lovely female companion. There were times when all three would eat from the same (big) bowl at the same time. Overall I'd say Gordons are very tolerant of other animals once they get to know them, but I also think they know its just that much less attention for themselves, and they don't like that!
[notify]