GO!

Things I should know about Goldens....

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lilly

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 8:59am PST 
Hi,

It came to my attention this morning that a friend's brother is looking for a home for his 1-year-old Golden. I have always been interested in this breed, and am considering adopting this dog. We will of course have to meet the dog and socialize her with our dog and see how that goes, but just looking for some tips or factoids from owners.

We have a 1-year-old Wheaten terrier and two children aged 6 and 2. My wife is a teacher so she's home during the summer. We both work full-time during the school year.

I try to take Lilly on a long walk once a day or at the very least every other day, and would do the same for the new dog. Lilly gets along really well with other animals.

One thing I am a little wary of is the shedding. Wheatens don't shed at all, and I'm kind of a clean freak.

Let me know what I should know before getting this Golden.

Thanks!
[notify]
Dusty ~ RIP,- my love- (00'-12')

Feed me or get- drooled on!

Barked: Sat Jul 17, '10 9:22am PST 
Dusty gets brushed once a day. Compared to my shiba, Dusty, my parents golden, doesn't shed as much. I think if you continuously brush him/her, they will be fine... but you will get dog hair on your black clothes! smile

I know Golden's are prone to skin problems, as Dusty is. He get's hot spots and b/c his ears flop down, he needs to have his ears cleaned every other day...

Golden's are GREAT dogs overall, but also great with children. Even though our Golden probably has more problems then the average Golden, I would get a Golden again. They are GREAT family dogs!
[notify]
Cooper

SNOW BABY

Barked: Tue Jul 20, '10 6:44pm PST 
i have 5 goldens. goldens are great family dogs and do well with other dogs. they do require exercise, but are a lot more layed back then a lab. they don't have skin/ear issues if you keep them on a good food. goldens don't do well on cheap food! they do shed a lot, but if you brush them at least twice a week it really cuts down on that. i think they're the most loving dog on the planet!

dog
[notify]

Lilly

Barked: Wed Sep 8, '10 2:04pm PST 
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, this did not work out. We did not have adequate time to introduce the two dogs, and they did not get along at all. Horrible dog fights that at one point resulted in a relative getting her arm mangled. We have little kids, so we just could not put them in harm's way. I wish we would have had more time to really get the dogs adjusted to each other, but unfortunately not. The golden did go to a good family in the end, so I guess it just was not meant to be.
[notify]
Kacey Jo

My Sweet Kacey- Jo

Barked: Sat Sep 11, '10 9:31am PST 
Be sure to brush this dog every day. If not she will get hair EVERYWHERE espicially during shedding seasons. Most goldens are very good with children- I was one and a half to two when we got Kacey. She is now around twelve to thirteen and has never bitten me or trampled me. We got her when she was a puppy so it kind of worked out. Just make sure to keep an eye on her and get some good training done if she hasn't been trained yet. She needs mannors. Other than that you should be good and be happy with her. Good luck!
[notify]
Kacey Jo

My Sweet Kacey- Jo

Barked: Sat Sep 11, '10 9:31am PST 
Be sure to brush this dog every day. If not she will get hair EVERYWHERE espicially during shedding seasons. Most goldens are very good with children- I was one and a half to two when we got Kacey. She is now around twelve to thirteen and has never bitten me or trampled me. We got her when she was a puppy so it kind of worked out. Just make sure to keep an eye on her and get some good training done if she hasn't been trained yet. She needs mannors. Other than that you should be good and be happy with her. Good luck!
[notify]
Otis

The Happiest Dog- On Earth!

Barked: Thu Sep 23, '10 9:06pm PST 
Goldens are angels on Earth BUT... you will need to exercise a 1 year old at LEAST 45 minutes, twice a day or that angel can quickly turn into a little devil. dog
[notify]
Otis

The Happiest Dog- On Earth!

Barked: Thu Sep 23, '10 9:38pm PST 
Glad the Golden in question found a good home way to go
[notify]