GO!

Dirty and Smelly Ears

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Milo

play hard, sleep- harder!!

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 12:28pm PST 
ok, so my golden pup seems to have the dirtiest and smelliest ears...When i give him a bath i lightly clean the outer part of the ear with a wet q-tip, but that doesn't last for long and doesn't help the smell. I was wondering if there is some ear solution that i can use? How do some of ya'll clean your golden ears? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! big grinblue dog

Edited by author Fri Sep 18, '09 12:30pm PST

[notify]
Cooper

SNOW BABY

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 9:38am PST 
you can get any kind of ear cleaning solution to put in them and use kleenex or wipes to clean them out. we clean ears here every sunday. how often do you clean your dogs ears and what kind of food is he on? a food that runs heavy to grains isn't good for ears.

dog
[notify]
Luke

Proud to serve

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 1:06pm PST 
You should see the vet. Sounds like a yeast infection in the ear. It really stinks when they have a yeast infection and just cleaning it won't cure the infection. They often don't shake their heads or scratch with a yeast infection.
[notify]

Pasha

Pasha - let\'s PLAY

Barked: Wed Oct 27, '10 7:15am PST 
For smelly ears on all floppy ear dogs or any dogs and cats. Use white vinegar. I pour it in a squeeze bottle, then hold up the ear and fill the ear with vinegar, then let them shake, then do the other ear. Vinegar kills the yeast that causes smelly ears.
Holitstic Vets recommend this. Most traditional vets will not tell you this tip because they want you to buy their expensive stuff.
Put vinegar in the ears weekly or more when the dog gets wet, washed, in the rain, swims, etc. then put vinegar in the ears right after the dog gets wet.
This will maintain clean healthy ears. This also works on cats. It is safe, and safe to drink too.
Vinegar is natures natural anti bacterial. Great for cleaning kitchens and bathrooms without using chemicals, cheaper, cleaner and safer alternative.
[notify]