GO!

Is it irresponsible to breed my dog?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Fri Oct 28, '11 5:55pm PST 
I have the most wonderful female Giant Schnauzer. She's full blooded, but has limited registration because that's how the breeder set it up unless I got her some rating, that I don't remember now. Since she's my pet I never really thought much about it, but now I'm considering breeding her. I don't really want the puppies to keep, nor am I very concerned about making money. I'm not a mill, I just want to breed my female because I would love for any and everyone to be able to have such a wonderful pet. Is it irresponsible to breed a dog out of my desire to possibly preserve traits that I like in my breed or should I leave it up to the professionals?

Thanks for any input.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 5:02pm PST 
I would not breed your bitch and I would leave it up to professional kennels who know what they are doing. They have the big picture in mind and care what happens to the breed. In your case, you really do not know her background/traits, etc. Enjoy her as a loyal and wonderful pet.
[notify]