GO!

4th dog with cancer :(

This is a special place for pups to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give the "Power of the Paw," and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

Cody,- Beulah,- Buster &- Wilbur

We Rule!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 4:23pm PST 
I can't believe I'm writing this. Last week I found out that my Cody Hershel has pancreatic cancer (insulinoma). He recently was diagnosed with glaucoma in one eye and received treatment from a canine Ophthamologist and 3 weeks ago lost his sight in the other eye. He's been getting around so perfectly so all seemed to be good. Last week he had his 6 month senior wellness exam and I found out this devastating news. What compounds this news is that 4 years ago, Beulah Belle (6years old at the time) had a mast cell tumor, which was treated successfully (surgically and with chemo and with radiation), 2 years ago Buster Elmer (9 years old at the time)was diagnosed with oral melanoma. He received every treatment and surgery available but he passed away last December 27th. In the meantime, Wilbur Bud (9 years old at the time) was diagnosed with adrenal cancer a little over a year ago and he is still holding on but the entire mass could not be removed. Now, Cody (10 years old) !!! I have asked the obvious question on whether there are problems with our home, water, yard,...the response is that this is highly unlikely since they are all different types. what are the odds of this happening with my four cocker spaniels. We did rescue another cocker earlier this year and he just turned 1 and he's doing great, as he should. My poor, poor Cody. The irony of this is that I've been saying to friends and family, regarding his eyesight, that "at least he doesn't have cancer" .
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 8:52am PST 
hughughughughug
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 9:07am PST 
Oh,no we are sorry to hear this.You have dealt with so much of this already it just doesn't seem fair that you should once agai have to hear the horrid C word again with one of your beautiful pups. We can't begin to imagine how devastated you must be right now. Sending lots of hugs,prayers,Power of the Paw and well wishes for you all. Also sending offer of a cyber shoulder to lean on and an open ear if/when you need. Take Care of yourselves and each other and Please keep us posted.
Mika,Kai & Mommy Pam smile
[notify]

Yoshi

XD

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 12:18pm PST 
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that now Cody has it too. Good heavens, I have no idea how you have mannaged to pull through all this time. I wish I could give you more answers. frown
[notify]
"Cody"- Hershel

I'll bark if I- want to!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 3:07pm PST 
Thank you all for your kind words. We are still deciding on what to do, whether it will be surgery and meds or meds only. The surgery is extremely invasive and they would have to cut open his pancreas. I don't know if I could do that to hm since the prognosis is only a year and the surgeon said that 100% come back even if it hasn't spread. He's been so happy with the "waggliest" tail I've ever seen and he's been beyond amazing with his recent blindness. So this is still hard to comprehend. My local vet said that maybe we were blessed with these dogs because we would be able to love and take care of them to the extent that we have. Our dogs are our children and have been a priority in our lives and not a day goes by where I don't tell these little furry ones how grateful I am to be their mommy.

-Gail
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 10:42am PST 
I am so sorry. I know that it seems almost too much to handle. I am sending you my prayers to make the right decision. I know it just can't be easy. Sending you hugs now too

hughughughughughughughughughug
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 3:29am PST 
I'm so sorry you got this devastating news hug

It's so hard to deal with once, so I can only imagine how you are feeling right now...

Keep your chin up and keep smiling. It didn't take me long to learn to smile through Rocky's fight with The Big C... The last thing you want is for your dogs to know you are sad.

Is his cancer treatable?

Good luck and huge hug's... My heart goes out to you all.
[notify]