GO!

Need advice/suggestions...

This is a special place for pups to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give the "Power of the Paw," and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Mon Nov 14, '11 11:01pm PST 
I have a 10 week old Pit Bull. When I got her she had a potbelly even though she was emaciated, and some kind of skin condition that causes her to scratch so much it winds up making her bleed.

The first thing I did was take her to the vet for her first check up & to see if they could give me a diagnosis.

The vet said it looks like she has worms (hence the potbelly appearance) and as for the skin issues - she was skin-scraped for mange as well as another ringworms. Those all came out negative so the vet is doing hair follicle testing to see if worms grow.

She did test negative for heart worms.

I find out the results on the hair follicle test this Friday, and we are also going to get her started on Parvo shots.

Is there anything I can do between now & Friday to help relieve the itching? I've tried medicated baths, cortisone spray (for pets), vaseline, etc. The only things that have worked is by putting a sweater on her, as well as keeping her busy.

Since I got her last Wednesday, the potbelly look has already started to go away (seems like proper nutrition & a little TLC has done a lot of good) and yesterday she started showing interest in playing with dog toys & chewing on the treats I got her.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

little angel
[notify]
shayra

love and love is- life.

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 2:31am PST 
well you can try special shampoo's that you can buy at a pet store...
i used tea tree shampoo with my pit,she always had skin issues....
and wait what the vet comes up with
my shayra was allergic to many things,so beware with what you use incase angel is allergic to things
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 11:57am PST 
Ok thanks...I just hate seeing her go around itching all the time!
[notify]

Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 2:15pm PST 
When I brought Grunt home from the rescue he had a bacterial skin infection. I bathed him in a Hexadine shampoo. It helps clean the bacterial from the skin/fur yet it is gentle enough to use 3x's a week. He seemed much more comfortable after the baths. Now I've got him on 1/4 tsp of MSM once a day, seems he's allergic to cut grass. He would play, roll in the grass and come in with bumps all over and scratching. After wiping him down and giving him benedryl it became tiring. Researched and found that some dogs don't have the right immunities and can have allergies, msm helps the body build those immunities naturally. A friend of mine uses it on her bassets when they get hot spots or the itchies.

By the way - she's adorable! cheer
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 11:24pm PST 
Grunt, where can I get that shampoo? Our vet still isn't 100% sure what's going on with Angel, so I want to do whatever I can to help get rid of the itching. The cortisone shampoo only works for a little while.

Since I don't know what type of environment she was born into, or any medical history on either of her parents, it's hard to diagnose what's really going on.

And what sucks is a lot of people keep saying I just need to have her put down...but I don't believe that at all! She's a happy pup, and very lovable so I am NOT going to even think about doing that!
[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 6:28pm PST 
The vet should have it... Put her down? NO WAY! Turner had allergies all of his life. We found what works and waaalaaa.... good to go! Now that Grunt has the itchies, we started him on MSM and boy what a difference already! hamster dance

Found it here:
http://www.entirelypets.com/hexadene16.html

Edited by author Thu Nov 24, '11 6:37pm PST

[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 4:43pm PST 
Put her down?!? shock NO way!!

Mr. Pibbs was Mr. Worm guts when he first came to us. Please make sure they test for intestinal worms (hooks, whips and round). This is what normally causes the pot bellied appearance. It's always best to take a fresh fecal sample in versus "the loop".

Once the worms are all cleared up, you will notice the skin improves much quicker. We added a probiotic to Mr. Pibbs' food 2 times a day and it made a huge difference.

One other good moisturizing shampoo is Pramaderm. It is sold at the vet's office and contains several soothing agents.

Your new little pup is absolutely adorable, congrats!!
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 12:33am PST 
Mr. Pibbs...the vet did testing for intestinal worms. It came up negative also. But since Angel had that weird pot belly look, she still prescribed worm medication. After giving her that medication & feeding her Science Diet, I've noticed a big difference.

Another thing I've noticed is when I feed her, she scarfs down the food like she's not going to get fed again. I thought maybe that could be part of the issue of the pot belly, so started giving her only a few bites at time until the cup full was gone. That seems to have helped also...and same goes with water. She will drink so much so fast that it causes that look, so I've done the same when refilling her water bowl.

Now she's a happy, active puppy and loves to play instead of only wanting to sleep.
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 1:09pm PST 
Angel, I'm so glad to hear things are going better and that the vet prescribed the dewormer anyway. Sometimes those little buggers don't show up but really are in there.

You made a very good decision to monitor her speed of food and water. Maybe she will outgrow her gusto for eating at the speed of light but if not, it's good to continue feeding her the way you are to prevent bloat.

How is her skin doing? She is such and adorable pup!smile
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 12:59pm PST 
Thank you! As of now you cannot tell that Angel ever had any health problems. She's about 11 months now, healthy as a horse (and about as strong as one, it seems) Due to her health issues we did fall behind on training so still working on socialization, but still going day by day.
[notify]