GO!

Hi new here. About Sam's kidney failure

This is a special place for pups to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give the "Power of the Paw," and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Holly Day- Berry

The Sweetest pup- you'll ever- meet!

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 7:23pm PST 
I read some more responses to your posts. Please don't feed your dog any more cookies. Stick to fresh unseasoned foods: fresh chicken, ground lamb, lean meat, finely cut veggies mixed into the meat. Stir in a little wheat germ. It taste great and it's high in Vitamin E and selenium the best antioxidants for your dog. Wheat germ is about $3 at Whole Foods. Try buying organic food for awhile including meat which can be full of antibiotics and hormones. It's really inexpensive when it's for a dog because they eat less than we do. Stop feeding him anything with preservatives or artificial anything. Cook the meat in Olive oil.

Try Stella & Chewy's raw food for dogs. It's frozen patties that dogs love. Since dogs are carnivores, a straight meat diet with a vitamin supplement from Standard Process Canine sure just about turn everything around. Then work on get your dogs meds reduced until he is off of them. Meds are sometimes a slow death. Also, watch the video about over vaccinating dogs at www.truthaboutdogs.com Remove soy, sugar, salt, gluten and corn from your dog's diet.

Please look into a holistic Vet. I believe your dog's health can and will be restored.

God BLESS Sam!!! XOXOXO
[notify]
Sam RIP- BABY 9/3/09

Barked: Mon Mar 30, '09 4:07am PST 
Holly-Day Berry, thank you so much for all the information. I'm going to go on all the web sites you sent me and process everything. Sam thanks you too and sends hugs back.hug
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Fri Apr 10, '09 10:36pm PST 
Sassy is just starting her third year as a kidney disease dog. She gets home cooked food and her only medication is pepcid and her very important treatment is subcutaneous fluids twice a week. Her numbers aren't bad and she didn't have to crash, her disease was discovered during a routine pre surgery blood test when she was 13.5 years old. She doesn't even have high phosphorus yet. I asked, she still needs to watch how much she gets, no edible bone for her.

Besides K9Kidney you could join K9KidneyDiet. Dogaware.com has a lot of good information on caring for kidney dogs.

Good quality fresh food is very important for health but kidney dogs must limit phosphorus. Meat is high in phosphorus, bone is absolutely not a good idea. High phosphorus foods make Sassy feel worse, if she so much as gets her weekly raw beef rib [she only pulls the meat off, no bone eating] without any calcium smeared on it she gets all queasy. Sassy recommends canned green tripe but, well, she's a dog - the humans in the house think it stinks up the joint. Since my other dog is raw fed she might want to eat raw meat but raw meat isn't as smelly as cooked so might not be as good at enticing a reluctant eater.

Pasta is one of Sassy's favorites too. Browned hamburger. Pumpkin, you can make a bitty pumpkin pie with egg whites and no sugar. Potato. Never had to but baby food with no onion would be tasty. Peanut butter is NOT good but Sassy will always eat it. Rice - cook starchy stuff in fat for more flavor. Chicken gizzards are much tastier than plain chicken but very chewy.

First get her to take a couple bites, then work on getting calories and protein into her. Hope you find a magic food soon.
[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sun Apr 12, '09 8:14am PST 
Before feeding ANYTHING check on nutritiondata for its phosphorus content. I just looked up wheat germ. NOT good. That is more phosphorus than in meats or even the peanut butter Sassy loves. Good stuff for a healthy dog though. If Sams loves it then a bit and move to something else.
wheat germ
[notify]
Sisters 3

Born to be- SPOILED!

Barked: Sat Apr 18, '09 8:23pm PST 
Our prayers are with you. hughughug
[notify]
Socrates

Sleep in the- most comfortable- bed

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 2:26pm PST 
Hi, my dog, Socrates is in kidney failure. She spent 3 weeks on a drip then the vet says she either has to stand on her own two feet, or we should probably put her down. I started given her the homeopatic remedy arsen alb. Also Milk Thistle which is good for the liver (initially liver, pancreas and kidney were all bad). The vet recommended 2 natural remedies 'garlic and fenugreek' tablets and 'mixed vegetable' tablets. In addition I give her antibiotics twice a day and anti nausea pill once a day). She now has a very healthy appetite - she's even stealing food which gives it's own problems. I've been feeeding her 100 gms Hills K/D wet food every 3 hours during the day (6 feeds) - am now trying to move to K/D dry (cheaper) but I soak it before giving it to her.
When something goes wrong with this regime and she gets unwell, I put her on a sub-cutaneous drip.

Not sure whether she needs all of this. I think the turning point was the arsen alb. She was hanging her head over her food bowl and water bowl, but unable to take either. Heart-rending.

She very rarely runs and she's a pretty undemonstrative dog, but she is interested in everything going on around and she loves going walkies -primarily so she can scavenge!
Hope this helps.
Audrey
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 11:17pm PST 
Sorry to read you have kidney trouble too Socrates. The subQ was Sassy's turning point. Her disease is progressing but since the vet gave the go ahead for more fluids you sure wouldn't know it. She steals food, 'beats' up Max, is taking long and fast walks, barking real barks, jumping on the furniture, having old dog zoomies. Love it. If it weren't for the subQs she wouldn't be with us any longer. I tell her that every day when she tells me that she has been lying there long enough with that needle dripping that good stuff that washes out the poisons.

I will have to look into the stuff than helped you out.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2