GO!

Hi new here. About Sam's kidney failure

This is a special place for pups to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give the "Power of the Paw," and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sam RIP- BABY 9/3/09

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 3:15pm PST 
Sam is 10 and in Oct. of 08 he wasn't feeling well and a couple of missed diagnosis and then some blood work showed he was in kidney failure. We had him on fluids then brought him to Tufts for about a week. Up till he got home a week later he hadn't eaten for a month. They sent him home with IV's for us to do and he would eat a treat now and then. Losing weight fast. Our vet suggested a feeding tube, so we had that put in. We were able to feed him and give him water because he hardly drank. All his meds were given through the tube. It's now been 5 months and he is still here. Sometimes he eats really well. We have him at the vets weekly to check his levels. His phosphorus was really high, and now it was down from 11 to 7. Last week he started to have a seizure, we rushed him to our vets where they found his anemia and sodium dangerous levels. They are not staffed durning the week at night so we brought him to Tufts again for a few days. He was stable and got stronger every day when he was home. The past few days his blood work showed improvement on Friday, but he hasn't wanted to eat anything. I cooked him pasta which he would gobble up but nothing. He's had ulcers in his mouth in the beginning which was one reason he wouldn't eat, but the vet said the ones he had were so much better now. He has good days when he plays with toys and runs around, and then he just wants to sleep. As long as he isn't in any pain I will take care of him as long as he needs it.
Our vet is wonderful as she is always researching on ways to improve his health, even though his kidneys will never get better. We also have a Llasa Apso Daisy, who will be 7 in April. She loves her brother very much. I'd love Sam to be around for more Holidays, He loves opening presents for his birthday and Christmas and the Easter Bunny always brings them a basket. I think the feeding tube has helped him or he would not be with us today. He is still losing weight, he is down to 14 lbs now. I just wish he would eat again. He can't tell me what's wrong I just take one day at ta time and love him every minute, and lots of kisses and hugs. Please keep him in your prayers. Thanks.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 1:08pm PST 
Oh poor Sam. I feel so sorry for him and you. Can I ask if he has ever had chicken jerky strips?

I highly recommend Nutri-cal for a small pup or dog that isn't wanting to eat. This literally can be a lifesaver for any pup that might be hypoglycemic or with low blood sugar. It also encourages them to eat and is full of calories. You can get this in most petstores and it's not expensive.

Have you tried boiled chicken and mashed potatoes? This is very bland but also easy to eat and digest.

I do hope that you can get this under control for him hug
[notify]
Sam RIP- BABY 9/3/09

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 12:30pm PST 
Rosie, you are a cutie pie!!

I am going to look into the Nutri Cal. As long as it doesn't contain a lot of protein, that's a good idea to try. I have tried pasta, boiled chicken, potato, he ate it at one time. He will eat the meat and spit out the pasta, rice or potato in it. The vet wants him to be careful of the meat not too much protein. Part of the problem is the high phosphorus, and he has ulcers in his mouth so it's hard to open it and chew. He has no problem eating a cookie though. He is on clavamox for the ulcers and seems to be doing better. He loves to be on the porch barking, but as he barks I notice how it hurts him. Thank you for the advice, and the well wishessmile
[notify]

Lady Sophie- of the Great- Hunt

The Baby!

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 12:31pm PST 
I posted Sam over at
Messengers and Friends of the Barkette Cheerleaders

so the Barkette Cheerleaders could cheer for him.cheercheer
[notify]
Max (1990 - 2004)

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 4:08pm PST 
We're sending good thoughts for Sam. Our fur angel Max fought kidney failure for almost 5 years before he finally lost the battle....he never got the point he wouldn't eat until the very end...but Sam sounds like he's quite the fighter!
[notify]
Sam RIP- BABY 9/3/09

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 6:43pm PST 
Max is a beautiful baby. I know you both loved the times you had together, and I know he is watching over your family. He and his sister are happily playing without a care.

Thank you for you well wishes for Sam. He has lost so much weight, and I know he isn't ready to give up yet. We love him.
[notify]
WINston XXLP- 1997-2008

Larger_Than_Life- !

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 11:05pm PST 
I recommend the Yahoo group "K9Kidneys" as a marvelous source of information and support for dogs in renal failure. I found this group after WINston went into renal failure after the whole Nutro/Menu Foods thing. WINston lived another year and a half, and it was a very good quality of life.
[notify]
Holly Day- Berry

The Sweetest pup- you'll ever- meet!

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 7:02pm PST 
I'm sorry to hear about Sam's kidney. Sam will be in my prayers. I added some links and info below that might be helpful

http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog. spi?ID=340 --- Google search Standard Process It's a pharmaceutical grade multivitamin my holistic vet recommended

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Pet_Products/10/For_ Your_Pet/ --Cod Liver Oil for your dog excellent for your dog's health recommended by my holistic vet

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php World's Healthiest Foods list, Search out healthy foods for your dog

http://www.doctorsfinest.com/ Pretty much the best kibble on the market when you compare it to the other so-called holistic brands

www.truthaboutdogs.com -- super informative (be sure to watch the videos)

http://www.keys-soap.com/dd.html --dirty dozen chemicals you don't want in your shampoo or your dogs. These chemicals can causes cancer and other problems

I took my Maltese in for a full blood panel and I started feeding her food high in vitamins that support her liver, kidneys and neurological system. Ex. carrots, spinach, chicken, ground lamb, beef, sweet potatoes, eggs, oatmeal. I also add some of her other fresh favorites like strawberries, watermelon, mango, banana, yogurt.

Doggies do need the food to be put in a food processor or cut finely so that they can break it down. I also read recently that parsley is great for dogs. Changing a dog's food and adding the right supplements can totally change a dogs health around and rather quickly. I've heard stories of full recovery so there's plenty of hope for you.

Best of luck to you!

Carmen
[notify]
Holly Day- Berry

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 7:06pm PST 
P.S. Standard Process has a Renal Support vitamin

http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog. spi?ID=343

Buy here:
http://www.naturamart.com/standard-process-canine-renal-suppo rt-110-grams.html

Also, look into finding a Holistic Vet in your area they really are not more expensive than a regular vet and they really take their time with you and want to help.

Keep us posted on how Sam is doing.

Carmen
[notify]
Holly Day- Berry

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 7:22pm PST 
I read some more responses to your posts. Please don't feed your dog any more cookies. Stick to fresh unseasoned foods: fresh chicken, ground lamb, lean meat, finely cut veggies mixed into the meat. Stir in a little wheat germ. It taste great and it's high in Vitamin E and selenium the best antioxidants for your dog. Wheat germ is about $3 at Whole Foods. Try buying organic food for awhile including meat which can be full of antibiotics and hormones. It's really inexpensive when it's for a dog because they eat less than we do. Stop feeding him anything with preservatives or artificial anything. Cook the meat in Olive oil.

Try Stella & Chewy's raw food for dogs. It's frozen patties that dogs love. Since dogs are carnivores, a straight meat diet with a vitamin supplement from Standard Process Canine sure just about turn everything around. Then work on get your dogs meds reduced until he is off of them. Meds are sometimes a slow death. Also, watch the video about over vaccinating dogs at www.truthaboutdogs.com Remove soy, sugar, salt, gluten and corn from your dog's diet.

Please look into a holistic Vet. I believe your dog's health can and will be restored.

God BLESS Sam!!! XOXOXO
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2