GO!

Has anyone dealt with perianal fistulas?

This is a special place for pups to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give the "Power of the Paw," and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

Gideon- Tobias

Play?!

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '08 2:16pm PST 
My Gideon, a 3yr 8mos old German Shepherd, was recently diagnosed with this condition. He has recently been put on Hill's DD prescription diet, which I am unhappy about, as well as many medications. I would love to speak to someone who has gone through this themselves.
[notify]
Telly Lam

Never met a- lampost I- couldn't pee on

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '08 3:16pm PST 
I'm sorry to hear of your perianal fistuals, Gideon. This is an immune-mediated disease, and there is a lot of suspicion that there could be food components (i.e. food allergy type mechanisms) underlying all of this.

I've never experienced PA myself, but I do have dog pals who've had their condition followed by holistic vets...so a combo of immunosuppressive drugs and herbal remedies, along with dietary recommendations (usually gluten and other potential allergen free) that don't necessarily involve Hill's and the like. What is it about your current dietary plan/drug regimen do you not like? Maybe you could seek a second opinion.
[notify]
Gideon- Tobias

Play?!

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '08 6:13pm PST 
I don't care for the grade of the ingredients as well as the artificial stuff in their food. Gideon was on Innova since he was old enough to have mush made with the food. His nutritional intake has always been inportant to me. I know there are other foods, such as wellness and even Innova who make a grain free diet, but right now I just want him to be better....so Hill's it is, for now. He is also on 1500 mg of Cephalexin, 25mg Metronidazol, and 15 mg of prednisone a day. He also has a wash and creme that needs to be applied to his perianal area (fun)! DO you know what types of holistic treatments have been used?
[notify]

Gideon- Tobias

Play?!

Barked: Fri Aug 21, '09 6:56pm PST 
Gideon has since passed away. November 1, 2008 Gideon crossed the rainbow bridge due to a complication from his diseases; perianal fistulas and irritable bowel disease. He is sorely missed every day!
[notify]
Ruby

Beauty and- Brains

Barked: Mon Aug 24, '09 7:51am PST 
Gideon,

So sorry to hear of your passing. What a beautiful doggie you were.

I know your family will never forget you. It sounds like they took such good care of you too.

Rest in peace.

Ruf, dog Ruby
[notify]