GO!

Is a GSP right for me?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Parker

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 5:54am PST 
So this will be a few years down the line, but I like to do breed research before I commit to owning a dog. I just got a show line yellow lab puppy who is amazing but will probably be a little too stocky for everything I want to do with him. I don't regret having him, AT ALL because I loved the breed and wanted my first dog I own by myself to be a lab. However, I am a runner and love to run long distances. I've read that GSPs, once growth plates are closed and are trained up to it, do well running longer distances, and I have also read that they are very loving dogs. I love the way they look also (who doesn't? laugh out loud.

So my question is are they a good breed for me? I have two cats who are great with our older labs at my parents house, and want to be great with the little puppy but he's still a bit bitey for them, and I work full time (7:30-5) usually, but when I get my 2nd dog I will have a much more predictable schedule...and I plan on using puppy day care and/or pet sitters/dog walkers when needed. Will a GSP work for my home and lifestyle (I will have a yard, fenced, etc.)?

Thanks all - feel free to be honest and harsh if necessary smile I'm just looking to be informed and give up this research if I should smile.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 3:36pm PST 
Hi
firstly the Gsp is a great dog I own one myself and she is a great family pet, loyal watch dog and also a hunter. I use her to hunt deer this was my main choice for his breed.

The GSP is a dog that needs a lot of attention & stimulation so a second dog is a must for those of us who have to work to live...otherwise they will tear your section to pieces when your gone, I got a second dog specifically for this reason and now she is fine.
they are also a dog that requires a lot of training so that their mind is stimulated and so that they can play constructively not destructively I've seen to many owners of GSP's who say they got a bad one when really they haven't taught it a thing and use it as a walking ornament. NOTE all dog can and will be destructive if bored just GSP's do it better.

I also do a lot of running and cycling and these dogs love to run & run and when you get home they will grab their ball and want to play fetch and run some more. so a great choice for a training companion however I do have to say why cant the Lab go running with you, if you don't overfeed them like a lot of city folk do and exercise regularly they will run as far as you can. Im off a farm and Ive found that the city vets cant tell the difference between a fit lean dog to a skinny malnourished dog...this is very common in labs as they can just eat and eat and carry to much fat making them slow and lethargic when in reality they are a game dog and love exercise.

hope this helps a little I may have gone off topic a bit
so yes a pointer would suit you as long as you are prepared to put in the hard work of training and correct handling, I would consider taking obedience class's to cement control on and off lead without having to give it a treat every 5sec.

cheers
Karl
[notify]