GO!

Bears

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Moxie - my precious- angel - 1

I'll do it! Let- me!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 7:44pm PST 
This is the second time in a year I have run into bears in the woods by my house. This time it was a large momma bear and a baby. I had to walk past them to get home. I was yelling and waving a stick around. Moxie just pretended she didn't see them and let me deal with the situation. This is the same dog that protects me from cats and bunnys! Anyway, is anyone elses German Shepherd a bit of a chicken? I was really hoping she'd bark and scare them off. Last fall the bear we saw didn't even quit eating when I was yelling and trying to scare it. I thought it may have left if it was barked at.
[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 10:37pm PST 
Wiley is my bear dog. I came around a corner & about 50 m ahead, there was a bear in the gully. It started to charge, Wiley charged him! I was able to get to an abandoned car & then recalled him. He also charged one who was eating in the woods..minding its own business. This time, there was no refuge, so I grabbed the biggest stick I could & retreated backwards, yelling as I went. Not easy, considering it was a rustic hiking trail laugh out loud But this guy was just wanting to fatten up.
[notify]

I'll do it! Let- me!

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 11:03am PST 
Wiley is a brave boy! Do you run in to Black Bears or Grizzlys? I would faint if a bear charged me! We have black bears here. It's funny, I always felt safer having Moxie with me in the woods thinking she'd scare any bears away, but I think she's more afraid than I am. My son says she gets quiet so she doesn't draw attention to herself. I always carry a stick and a can of hair spray on my walks in case I run into stray dogs, but now I have added a couple pot and pan lids to bang together. laugh out loud
[notify]

Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 8:14pm PST 
Where I am, we have Blacks, but there are grizzly further north. The most encounters I've had were in my last house..on Vancouver Island. We had a flood one year that resulted in a ton of dead salmon on the river banks. The bears loved it & it wasn't unusual to see them almost daily.
We also had cougars..now they scare me! Silent, predatory killers. The only time I think we met one, Wiley was totally different. He sat down in the path & refused to follow me. No barking, but his hackles were up & there was no way he was moving, so I went back to him. He was air sniffing & staring into the woods. I quickly leashed Squ'mey (puppy at that time), grabbed a big stick, grabbed a quick handful of dirt & rocks & we reversed our way. Wiley kept doing a semi-circle behind us in about a 20 foot radius...not barking, but super intense, & he never went out in front of us. I was totally freaked. I never saw anything, but heard a few twigs crack. Whatever it was, it was definitely stalking us. I was so relieved when we got to the Jeep, I was shaking. A few days later I saw a cougar about 2 miles from where we had been (I was driving this time smile )
[notify]

I'll do it! Let- me!

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 5:54pm PST 
Yikes! I would much rather run into a bear than a cougar. Luckily we don't have those around here. There are so beautiful, but scary!!!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 4:41pm PST 
Moxie is probably from American show lines, but I may be wrong... A working line GSD may have responded differently.
Anyway, an encounter with a bear may be confusing for a GSD (or most dogs). They simply do not know how to react with no training.
Other breeds may respond naturally to a bear or cougar. Hunting dogs (like Rhodesian Ridgebacks or Argentinian Dogos) are more likely to charge a large predator. The flip side of the coin is that they may get killed doing so. Sometimes its better to avoid.

Edited by author Sun Jun 16, '13 4:44pm PST

[notify]