GO!

WHITE German Shepherd vs. Black and Tan

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jake

ain't nothin'- but a hound dog

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:41am PST 
Could someone please tell me about White German Shepherds and how they are different from the standard black and tan? In all areas but especially demeanor and temperament.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 4:28pm PST 
The breed specific forums don't get a lot of traffic, although Squ'mey posts pretty regularly here and he's a White Shepherd.

Here's a thread with a decent bit of info on them: White German Shepherds, Any info?
[notify]
Jake

ain't nothin'- but a hound dog

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 5:35pm PST 
Thank you smile
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 10:00am PST 
wave Squ'mey is my second white. My first, Luther, was rescued as an adult.
They were both a bit more nervous than my *regulars. Quite a bit more velcro-ish..except for sleeping. Most of my blk/tans like to sleep on the bed with me, or right next to me on the floor. Both whites preferred to choose his own spot, usually by a door.
I find whites to be softer nerved. Smaller things seem to set them off quicker & a bit longer to recover.
Also more sensitive... too harsh a tone sends Squam sulking. Very vocal..lots of woo-aroos. Quite affectionate. Much more of a one-person dog.
Some things to keep in mind... this is just *my experience. Neither of my whites came from stellar breeders. When I talk about "more" or "less" the differences are not huge..but enough to be noticeable. I know folks who have very well bred whites who are lovely, sweet tempered dogs.
I enjoyed scrolling through that old thread. What I said then still seems to be the case now. Squam is almost through his butthead stage and is really settling into a superb adult. Check out Tiller's posts..she is awesome, as usual. laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 10:10am PST

[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 12:54pm PST 
Horand von Grafrath's grandfather, Grief, was white... and so the color came with the foundation of the breed. The whites I have met were... GSDs. And there are no genetic disadvantages associated with 'white'. It's a part of the GSD heritage... and I'd be more than happy to have the AKC join the 21st century wink

If I remember correctly, the discrimination against whites begins with the Nazis... thinking
[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Sun May 26, '13 2:38pm PST 
I've owned both white and non-white German Shepherds.

Overall, I'd have to say that white German Shepherds are a bit more nervous and softer nerved. Smaller things do set them off quicker, but they eventually recover. I've found Lexi to be more affectionate and more sensitive than my other German Shepherds. She's also clingy and needy, but then again she's a rescue dog and I think a lot of them fit that billet.

But despite all of the above, Lexi is STILL a German Shepherd.

-Elizabeth
Lexi's Mom
[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Sun May 26, '13 9:11pm PST 
One thing I forgot to mention is that Lexi lacks the confidence she needs to be a good guard dog. Unlike my other German Shepherds that would've had an intruder pinned up against the wall or have had the intruder backed into a corner and have possibly maimed them in the process, Lexi will simply take a backseat and give the thief the run of the house (we found out the hard way 9 months ago when the house was robbed while my mom was away on work-related training and I was out interviewing like crazy that week).

-Elizabeth
Lexi's Mom
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 11:28pm PST 
Lexi I don't think the house guarding is a white vs colored thing. Sabi would cheerfully defend me, but she doesn't give a rat's behind about the house. My other female is much the same, in fact I suspect Shadow may try to entice them with a game of frisbeelaugh out loud And Bud would probably protect the house, if Sabi was in itlaugh out loud
I've only ever dealt with one white and he seemed more sensitive then the average GSD but he wasn't mine so it could have just been my perception.

And yes it was the Nazi's who decided whites weren't acceptableconfused
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 8:39pm PST 
The only difference is that the white recessive gene acts as if you dropped a white sheet over a colored GSD, hiding its color and pattern from view. White cannot totally mask reds and tans and dogs whose genetic ground colors are reds or tans will be various shades of off-white. White dogs who are "white white" are genetically creams or silvers. The white dog's genetic black pattern (agouti/sable, two-color (black & red/tan/silver or cream) or solid black, will not be revealed until that white dog is bred to a colored dog.

There are individual and bloodline variations within all colors/patterns of the breed. Color does not affect temperament, health, trainability, or health. Discrimination against the white dogs came about as a result of breed clubs politics and a misunderstanding of the color genetics of the white GSD.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 12:46pm PST 
From my old GSD days, I understood the main complaint against white GSD's was that after the whites split from the coloreds, they were using some samoyed and other breeds to enhance the black pigment and keep the eyes dark which had become a problem when breeding white to white to white.
Don't know if it's true or not, but?????
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2