GO!

Considering Blue Buffalo or Nutro Ultra - looking for a health toy breed formula

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Murphy

Barked: Sat Jan 11, '14 7:18pm PST 
A couple of months ago, we adopted a 2 1/2 pound yorkie who's lost several teeth (she's almost 8). She's been eating Purina Pro Plan Toy Breed, which has a really tiny kibble (just over 1/8" around) that's easy for her to eat. We've given her some time to settle in and adjust to her new home, now we'd love to find a healthier food for her. We've fed Nature's Variety (Instinct & Praire) for the last few years but their kibble is too large for her. Unfortunately, it seems there aren't many brands of food that have kibble small enough for her. The two best quality foods for toy breeds that we've been able to find seem to be Blue Buffalo Toy Breed and Nutro Ultra Toy Breed, neither of which we've ever used.

We've considered putting the Nature's Variety in the food processor to chop it up but we'd rather just find her another good food she'll like, if possible. We would appreciate any input to help select a new food for her.
[notify]
Murphy

Barked: Sat Jan 11, '14 7:44pm PST 
To add to our first post - a few years ago, we would've stayed far away from anything made by Nutro. It looks like maybe they've improved over the years, though.

Here is the nutritional information on the two foods I'm considering so far, as copied from the manufacturer's websites.

Blue Buffalo Toy Breed:
Ingredients
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Whole Ground Barley, Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Menhaden Fish Meal (source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Potatoes, Sunflower Oil (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Apples, Blackberries, Pomegranate, Spinach, Pumpkin, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Garlic, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Turmeric, Dried Chicory Root, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product

True Blue Promise
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 26.0% min
Crude Fat 15.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.0% max

Nutro Ultra Toy Breed:
Chicken, Chicken Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Whole Brown Rice, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Rice Bran, Salmon Meal, Natural Flavors, Rolled Oats, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Dried Pomegranate, Dried Blueberry, Dried Cranberry, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Spinach, Dried Carrot, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Carnitine, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Beta Carotene, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Sodium Selenite, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid

Nutritional Adequacy StatementNUTRO® ULTRA™ Toy Breed Adult Food for Dogs is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for adult maintenance.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.) 27.00%Crude Fat (min.) 16.00%Crude Fiber (max.) 4.00%
[notify]
Babe

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 4:29am PST 
wellness has a brand as well that has the teeny tiny kibble? have not done my research on it yet but the size is smaller than most cat food..
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 7:31am PST 
Bump
[notify]
Slim

Barked: Mon Jan 13, '14 9:19am PST 
Try seeing if any of your local pet stores carry "Amicus". Their Toy Breed formula is my favorite kibble! Its made by Horizon Pet Foods and is top quality. Using Amicus with Total-Zymes digestive enzymes will really help the health of your doggy.

Edited by moderator Mon Jan 20, '14 10:44am PST

Edited by forums moderator
Murphy

Barked: Mon Jan 13, '14 12:54pm PST 
Babe and Slim - thank you both! I checked out the manufacturer websites on these two foods and I'm excited about them. I had not found either one of these great looking foods during my search. I guess the power of Google isn't enough when researching dog foods! I'd really prefer to put her the foods you two have suggested, if she likes them.

Slim, I've found a local store that has the Wellness Toy Breed in stock so I can stop in and make sure the kibble size will work before I buy. I love all the great reviews on the Small Breeds line of foods!

Babe, after your post I started reading up on the Horizon brands. I really like what I'm seeing online (I love their local sourcing of ingredients, for one) but I haven't been able to find any local stores that carry their foods. I don't mind ordering online, but I'd like to make sure the kibble is the right size before I do. Would it be possible to measure how big a piece of the Amicus is for us? Do your little ones seem to like the taste? Any digestion issues with it?

Again, thank you both!
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Jan 13, '14 11:24pm PST 
bump
[notify]
Maddie&Nash

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 6:41am PST 
Wellness Core has a small breed kibble. I've had a dog that did well on the regular version of this food.
[notify]
Slim

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 10:18am PST 
The size of Horizon Amicus kibble is about 1/4 inch
[notify]
Maddie&Nash

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 3:07pm PST 
My daughter feeds her small yorkie-poo Natural Balance LID Small Breed. There are a few flavors to choose from, and the kibble is very small.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2