GO!

What to feed chihuahuas?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Babe

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 3:31pm PST 
So I have 4 chihuahuas..i raised one and recently purchased three last fall from a breeder that was retiring..when i got them they were being fed Iams..i dont feed grocery store foods so i put them on Orijin..they are getting about 1/3 cup morning and night..they dont always eat it all but sometimes they do..

I am a new breeder and am just learning the ropes ..i find they are getting a bit gutty looking?

I would love some advice on feeding if anyone has suggestions..i know chis are bad for being fat and its possible they are gaining as they are moving less due to snow
ect..harder to run in?

Ages 2 yrs and the other three are 1 year old..
[notify]
Bellatrix

All toys belong- to me

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 9:22pm PST 
1/3 of a cup am and pm is too much food, feed less. First what you need to do if you want to be a legitimate breeder is get all of your dogs health tested, Pen hip etc. (assuming that they are AKC and good examples of the breed.)

Once you establish that your dogs are healthy. You need to have them complete and become titled to affirm they are breeding quality. (Breed the best to the best and hope for the best.)

Finding a mentor would be a good idea, also establishing a relationship with the vet you are going to use and put aside around $5000 for unexpected vet bills.

You will also need to figure out what your contract will be to potential owners of your puppies and you need to be prepared to take them back at any time if the person who purchased the puppy can't keep them, when you breed puppies, you are ultimately responsible for them, forever.

If all of this is daunting, consider getting your dogs spayed and/or neutered. The shelters are full of chis and other small dogs’ people have bred in their back yards. Thousands of really nice dogs of every type, small large and in between are destroyed in shelters for the crime of not being wanted. I was found on the road myself; I lived under a car for about a month, too scared to let anyone help me.

I have seen chi puppies’ barley alive, starved after they were left in the woods to die by some local who didn't want them anymore (they were recently rescued when I saw them at the vet’s office.)
[notify]
Babe

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 11:19am PST 
Thank you for your response..you sound as though you know what your talking about..

With all that being said my question was in regards to feeding not what my breeding program consists of?

Any suggestions as to what brand to feed? I love Orijin despite the cost as they are all healthy and shiny..they look fantastic compared to when i got them from a "legitimate breeder"

I am.worried i am.feeding too much and possibly this band is too rich for them..nobody is schedualed to be bred for at least another yaer so this would be for healthy maintenance with a regular excercise
[notify]

Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 11:49am PST 
It sounds like you are feeding too much. Orijen is much more calorie dense than a food like Iams, so you need to feed a lot less. Since your dogs are to be breeding dogs, I assume they are within breed standard and under 6 pounds. A dog this tiny only needs about 1/3 a cup of food daily and maybe less if they are not very active. Since your dogs are all young, the 1/3 cup is probably good. So,it sounds like you are feeding them double the amount that they should be having, especially if they are getting other treats during the day as well.
[notify]
Babe

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 12:23pm PST 
thats what i thought too..when i got them they were all on the thin side but i think it was more lake.of muscle tone due to little excercise..my male was very weak despite his quality breeding..i actually fed him the most but but tons of walking on him and now he is getting some bum.and chest and neck..they are pretty much where i wqnt then but maybe a little on the heavy side and i am just concerned about it getting out of control as chis are known to be fatties..thanks
[notify]
Bellatrix

All toys belong- to me

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 3:46am PST 
Free choice feeding can also be a problem. Break the food into two feedings. Make sure each dog has a bowl and place to eat. Offer them food and them pick up anything left over after ten minutes or when they finish eating. Don't let them swap bowls or one dog clean up after any of the others. You will have to experiment an see how much they really need. Right now they are getting heavy, so they need less. 1/3 of a cup may be a good amount or they may need less or more.

I am aware that you didn't ask anyone's opinion about your plans to become a breeder. Unfortunately, if you ask a question in a public forum, you will often get answers off the track of the original question. Hopeful you are planning to show your dogs and be a responsible breeder and not just become another BYB who purchases dogs to breed for fun and profit to the detriment of the breed and the dogs themselves.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 5:06am PST 
It appears that Babe is at least trying to care for her dogs properly, and is aware of the risks of chis getting overweight, and is feeding a quality food.

Maybe we could ease up on the lectures that almost assume bad breeder behavior as a given?
[notify]
Buddy

I'm a maniac on- purpose.

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 8:34am PST 
bump
[notify]
Bellatrix

All toys belong- to me

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 3:44pm PST 
This is why frown

naughty
[notify]
Gnaw-Gnaw

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 4:05pm PST 
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have a pug named Gnaw-Gnaw.
Concerning the food issue, I make her dog food. I use skinless, boneless chicken thighs (.from Costco), carrots, fresh spinach, barley, oatmeal, pumpkin &/or yams, powdered quinoa, wheat germ & some vitamins & minerals that are specifically good the breed ( you'll need to check & see what's best for your breed ).
The chicken & veggies go through a food processor & then I just mix it all up in a BIG bowl & put it one qt. containers. I usually end up with 6 or 7 quart containers. I put one in the frig & I freeze the rest.
Note: One of the reasons I use chicken thighs is because of the fat content. When I cook the grains I use some of the leftover chicken broth & the rest can be used for human soup or whatever.
Ted & Gnaw-Gnaw
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2