GO!

dog with allergies intolerance

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 6:07am PST 
Im hoping to get better answers from someone who has gone through this being the Vet is useless except for running a credit card.
I have a 5 yr old Daschund, 2 yrs ago i found she had an intolerance to chicken or rice so i switched to hamburger and steak with balance it oats blend added. She would vomit get diarhea with blood at times so she was getting real sick. Now 2 yrs later she is getting sick again and it seems to be the same thing. I told the Vet i need a new diet to feed her they said no stay with whats making her sick basically because we are waiting on blood test allergies report to come back. I tried a little lamb yesterday morning and noon and she was fine all day, then took vets advice fed beef for dinner then 1st thing today she wakes and vomits bile.
She doesnt like the lamb so im wondering what other protein can i try, she doesnt like fish. I was debating trying chicken again. Maybe the intolerance has gone away. Can atopic allergies cause this bad of stomach issues. Her main allergy symptom is butt licking, some paw licking and some ear shaking but its minimal, her main thing is the digestive. I heard gurgling 3 days ago all night. Doesnt this point to a food intolerance.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 10:28am PST 
The gurgling can be a build up of stomach acid. My dog had this and would commit bile in the mornings until I realized that if I feed him late at night and early in the morning it won't happen. Feed him tonight as late as u can like midnight then feeds him as early as u can like 6am feed him another small meal in the middle of the day. I have to feed sandy every 6 hours so his stomach doesn't gurgle. Sandy is also allergic to chicken. I absolutely would not feed your dog chicken. Can u try the beef but feed it late at night then early in the morning? Has he had diarrhea on the beef? Sandy had the bloody diarrhea with chicken and now I do not feed any poultry at all. You could try rabbit ir venison. I would stay away from any animal with feathers.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 10:31am PST 
I forgot to say u can also give him femotadine(this may be spelled wrong, but its what's in pepsid). If u go to the drug store just look at the active ingredient on all the antacids until u find it. Sandy weighs12 pounds and his dose was10 mgs. That stops sandys gurgling. Some vets have it to give u but some just tell u to go buy it at the drug store.
[notify]