GO!

Picking the Right Diet

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Ellie

Qui me amat,- amet et canem- meum

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 1:38pm PST 
I recently (Nov. 24) adopted a now 7 month old pup. She is a German shepherd/ husky/ maybe chow and probably some small breed as she is fairly small for all of those breeds (she is a reservation dog and a true mutt).

I am trying to decide what diet to put her on and don't want to switch it up on her more than is needed. I had started her on wellness simple duck and oatmeal but it gave her terrible diarrhea so I began transitioning her to and now feed her merrick grain free buffalo and sweet potato. My issue is that she poops a ton (3-5 times a day), though her poop has mostly firmed up, and it stinks like nine other. People comment on how bad it smells. Is it possible she is pooping so much because she is still young and learning to hold it? Or is it possibly that her body is still adjusting to the food?

I have considered switching her to raw or a raw/ kibble mix as I really like the idea of the raw diet and have done a fair amount of research on it, but I worry a bit about the price. I currently spend (if I stay on merrick) $55 for a 24lb bag. I haven't shopped around too much for better prices on that though. I worry about the cost of raw because finding cheap meat is tough in Seattle!
I also don't want to switch her diet much more!

Thank you!
[notify]
Zeea

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 2:31pm PST 
I also have a dog from the reserves she is a Shepard/husky mix (mutt) and when I first got her I put her on Nutro and she had horrible poops, diarrhea all the time. So now I have her on Authority and I am so HAPPY with it! It is a PetSmart brand and I would strongly recommend it. Also not only is it a good food but it is a good price.

Puppies poop more then adults sometimes but it should be excessive.

You can find out if it is the food and not worms or a parasite causing the diarrhea first by feeding your dog cooked chicken breast and cooked rice for a few days then start mixing in the new kibbles. Make sure to use DRY kibbles as wet food will give you looser stool and can causing a bit more poop.

Hope this helps. puppy
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 5:19pm PST 
Bump
[notify]

Tala

Cuivis dolori- remedium est- patientia

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 6:01pm PST 
Here is miss Tala! Queen pooper in question dancing
[notify]
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 9:26pm PST 
To be honest I would ideally have my pup on a balance raw with varying meat sources. He does very well on red meats such as venison, pork, and beef but I've fed everything from Cornish Hen to lamb to turkey and rooster and rabbit, etc. due to budget constraint we are both on a eat what we can find diet so he gets whatever meats i can pick up on sale here and there at the store. I make sure he gets his liver too. He gets wellness simple salmon formula which is the only dry/ dog food he can process without issues. This is our on the go/ we are going to be away for a day or I didn't food shop till pay day option. He also gets natures variety pre made raw patties when i have a little extra cash and when times are real tough he gets something healthy from the fridge. For example tonight I didn't have any cash to pick up anything from the market and forgot he was out so I steamed up some frozen veggies from a veggie mix bag i had. Tossed in two raw eggs and crushed the shells for the calcium. The veggies should serve as a filler and because they are whole probably won't break them all down it will keep the poop together and fill his tummy. eggs are and excellent power food for people and dogs. Very nutritionally complete and makes his coat shiny. I am all about feeding your dog the best you can in your situation. Sometimes it's going to be processed sometimes its going to be human grade (my preference). Don't be afraid to switch things up here and there (we all have our junk food days) and most importantly your pup will love you anyhow.
[notify]
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 9:28pm PST 
Oh and also the more bio available foods will cause less stinky farts and smaller less frequent poops. On raw my pup goes once a day and it's tiny. On kibble he goes twice atleast and it's thrice as big and stinky!

Also, what do you mean by reservation dog?

Edited by author Fri Dec 27, '13 9:46pm PST

[notify]
Tala

Cuivis dolori- remedium est- patientia

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 10:25pm PST 
She was pulled from a reserve in Canada. Many in tact dogs and very little population or breeding management. so, many true mutts!
[notify]
Zeea

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 8:42pm PST 
Sorry and edit to my post...

Puppy poops SHOULDN'T be excessive.
[notify]
Ellie

Qui me amat,- amet et canem- meum

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 9:34pm PST 
I think I am going to go partial kibble and partial raw for now. Any other input is welcomed and appreciated but thanks so much to those who have responded thus far!
[notify]
Ace

Ace-Clothing- Calls His Name

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 9:13pm PST 
My dog eats Solid Gold Hudcken Flocken Puppy Kibble. Long name. He also eats Wellness Core Grain Free Turkey Canned Food. I feed him good food that is very healthy. You should pick a diet with this rule of thumb NO Chicken Bi-Product meal. Or atleast it should be towards the bottom of the list if you cant keep it off the list. My food doesn't have that so that is good.They also have it in adult food. You should also pick a food that has the first five ingriedients being meat. If it doesn't have enough meat it is probably not going to be good for your dog. Make sure that you take proper care in researching the right diet for your dog. It will pay off the vet bills in health wise problems
[notify]