GO!

12 SCAREY FOODS AT CHRISTMAS

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Tue Dec 17, '13 7:34am PST 
I condensed this information I received. Some foods are obvious, but others I didn't know.

Grapes, Raisins and Currants
Grape or raisin toxicosis will typically cause vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, dehydration and decreased urination. Even pets that survive an initial bout of toxicosis can have persistent kidney disease afterward.

Onions, Garlic and Chives
A compound in these foods called “thiosulphate” damages pets’ red blood cells. Dogs and cats can develop anemia several days after eating any of these foods, though onions seem to be the biggest threat overall. Problems can even develop over time, after eating small doses regularly.

Wine, Beer and Basically All Alcoholic Beverages
Hops in beer are poisonous to your dog.  The grapes and alcohol content are toxic for him. Drinking any alcoholic beverages can result in extreme fever leading to multiple organ system failure. The worst case scenario here is coma and death.

Chocolate
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which are methylxanthines and is toxic to dogs and cats.

Avocados
Avocado contain persin, which doesn’t sit well in doggie and kitty stomachs. It can cause heart congestion, diarrhea and vomiting. It won’t kill your dog or cat, but it will make them very uncomfortable if they eat too much.

Walnuts, Almonds and Macadamia Nuts
These can cause neurological problems ranging from disorientation, muscular weakness and vomiting to tremors, lameness or even a total inability to walk.

Mushrooms
Some mushrooms contain deadly toxins, while others may result only in an upset stomach.

Xylitol
Xylitol is a sweetener used in sugar-free gum, baked goods and other foods. Xylitol causes insulin levels to spike rapidly and blood sugar levels to plummet. The result can be liver failure.

Bread Dough
The yeast will cause the dough to rise inside their little furry tummies. Yeast multiplication can also cause alcohol intoxication. Gastrointestinal distress at best, or worst, a distended or ruptured stomach.

Fatty Meat Trimmings and Turkey Skin
Cooked turkey skin can have a host of things that are toxic to your pet. If you cooked that turkey using problematic oils, spices, and marinades, your dog might have difficulty digesting the skin. Eating it puts him at risk for pancreatitis.

Raw Fish
Some fish, notably salmon and trout carry a parasite called nanophyetus salmincola that can infect and kill a dog if not quickly diagnosed and treated.

Caffeine
Caffeine is one of the compounds in chocolate that makes it toxic to pets.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Dec 18, '13 5:59am PST 
thanks! it's nice to be reminded of what we can or can't give our pets!
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Dec 18, '13 8:04am PST 
bump
[notify]

Tyson Savage- CGC

Let's do big dog- stuff!

Barked: Thu Dec 19, '13 8:54pm PST 
My friend was reading this over my shoulder and decided to address my sexuality and said "As if nuts weren't already a problem with you!"

....but seriously though I never knew they could cause neurological problems frown

Bump bump!!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 9:54pm PST 
Thank you for this 12 recipes. it is very helpful for us. i will try one of that recipe on new year for my dog.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 4:05am PST 
Bump
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 9:04am PST 
Really great list with good explanations except for the nuts. I knew macadamia nuts were a problem but thought the others were fine so I researched a little. Apparently they are apt to be contaminated with mold that forms a powerful toxin. Humans can tolerate a lot more of that toxin than dogs so nuts suitable for human consumption can be dangerous for dogs. Really that means that peanuts shouldn't be fed to dogs either.

Avocado flesh is fine, it is the skin and seeds that are really high in the bad stuff. Of course that is what a garbage hound like Sassy would get into, same as the cooked bones and fatty scraps and other scraps that are dangerous!
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Jan 8, '14 3:38pm PST 
So nuts aren't so safe. What about peanut butter?
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 4:13am PST 
Bump
[notify]