GO!

Merrick food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Isabella

Underwear Thief- & Purse snatcher

Barked: Tue Dec 3, '13 11:34am PST 
I'm thinking of trying Merrick kibble any thoughts on it?

I'm thinking of trying the grain free kind or
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/consumer/products/product.jsp?id=12& page=1&view=list&sort=category_3&order=asc&name=Grain_Free_Real_Buff alo_&_Sweet_Potato&categories=Dog-Grain%20Free-Dry&age=All_Life_Stag es

Kibble with grains in it.
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/consumer/products/product.jsp?id=19& page=1&view=list&sort=category_3&order=asc&name=Classic_Real_Lamb_wi th_Brown_Rice_&_Apple&categories=Dog-Classic-Recipes-Dry&age=Adult_A ll_Breeds

Bella currently eats Totw lamb and gets kibble toppers and twice a week a raw meal as dinner.

Bella doesn't seem to have issues with grains so I'm open to try the grain line or grain free.
[notify]
Beowulf

Not as brave as- his namesake

Barked: Tue Dec 3, '13 11:18pm PST 
I love this brand!

Beowulf is horribly picky. It's trouble enough keeping weight on him due to an active lifestyle and his high metabolism. He didn't like Blue Buffalo, ToTW, or Canidae. However, he will eat this food no matter what. After three months of eating Merrick, occasional rice and cut up sweet potatoes, and chunks of venison, this is probably the healthiest Beo's been since I got him.

We usually rotate the flavors in their grain free, but if you want to avoid chicken try their Texas beef. We also mix in a tablespoon or two of their wet food for his dinner, always mixing up their flavors to keep him interested.

Also comparing ToTW Sierra Mountain (lamb) and Merrick grain free Texas beef, Merrick has higher amounts of crude protein, moisture, omega 6, and omega 3. While they have 0.5% less fiber and equal amount of crude fat, Merrick also contains a Glucosamine Hydrochloride & Chondroitin Sulfate in amounts higher than in a lot of hip & joint supplements.
[notify]
Billy

Born to- Arrrrroooooooo!

Barked: Wed Dec 4, '13 5:05am PST 
I ate Merrick for a while. I loved it. I needed a little more fiber so mom switched me to the blue buffalo freedom because I had anal gland issues. But Merrick was great. I would recommend it any day way to go

Edited by author Wed Dec 4, '13 5:05am PST

[notify]

Isabella

Underwear Thief- & Purse snatcher

Barked: Wed Dec 4, '13 12:56pm PST 
Cool thanks. Once Totw gets low I'll pick up a bag to try.

Luckily Bella is a crazy food dog she loves anything I have given her kibble, raw, cooked only thing she has refused was pheasant, but Saya was happy to eat it for her.. laugh out loud
[notify]
Brevin

I like poop

Barked: Wed Dec 4, '13 2:07pm PST 
I eat this and love it! I eat the grain free and try the different protein sources. You can interchange them because they have the same ingredients except they switch out the first one which is the meat. I've had chicken and buffalo...I LOVED the buffalo, momma filled my bowl half chicken and half buffalo and I would always eat the buffalo first, I wonder what I will get next!
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Thu Dec 12, '13 5:09pm PST 
Love Merrick dog food! All my dogs(minus Shadow because he broke out on several Merrick formula from food allergies) do great on their food. Plus they don't source anything from China!
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 9:15pm PST 
bump
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Dec 24, '13 6:42am PST 
Every time Merrick comes up, I think of this topic from 2006: Merrick and Family Values.

The quality control questions are the biggest issues to me now. As someone who handles all sorts of product from various companies, Merrick treats are on the far low end of the spectrum IMO. Small and/or thin and very greasy. The company seems to have cut all ties to Marriage Today, although I have no idea if that's just for PR. I can't find anything on them, in any case, but the whole situation still kinda icks me out.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Dec 25, '13 7:28am PST 
bump
[notify]