GO!

Smelly Kibble?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Nov 27, '13 12:09pm PST 
I know it's not spoiled, we got a bag of one of the premium brands and it smells likered facered facered face...I've read other posters describing this problem as well.

Is it certain brands? Certain ingredients? Maybe they don't use artificial fragrance? I was just curious
[notify]
Silas

Loco

Barked: Wed Nov 27, '13 5:35pm PST 
What's the main protein? I find most lamb and fish based food smell awful.

Silas is eating ACANA Pacifica right now, and my mom won't let me keep it the normal cupboard because it makes everything else smell.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Sat Nov 30, '13 10:37am PST 
Depends on what the main ingredient is. My dog eats a chicken, salmon and lamb kibble and it doesn't smell bad. I know that some fish based foods can be super smelly!
[notify]

Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Sun Dec 1, '13 6:56pm PST 
High quality dog food stinks a lot. I find that Orijen is one of the worst offenders where smell is concerned. laugh out loud

I always assumed it was because they're higher in meat content. Certain meats just... stink. (Fish for example smells putrid to me confused )

On the bright side, my dogs seem to like the smelliest formulas the best.
shrug
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:30pm PST 
Fish based dog foods, reek. silenced Firefly has been eating a salmon based kibble, and every time I scoop her out some, the smell almost gags me... But it isn't a rotten smell, just a very strong fishy odor that can be alarming at 8am when you're trying to feed a dog when you've just woken up! big laugh. I've noticed that beef and turkey dog kibbles smell the best! laugh out loud
[notify]