GO!

Someone 'hates' Champion Pet Foods.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 10:40pm PST 
If this person did not make it up herself I bet she heard it from a friend/coworker who heard it from another friend... confused
That is just ridiculous. There have been studies that show high protein does not cause kidney failure.
That said-- I do think that high protein levels can have an effect on kidney values, so maybe that is what she meant? That does not indicate kidney damage though.
[notify]
Madison- Ainsley

I- ammmmm....Hoooow- ie Girl!

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 10:20pm PST 
All I can do is laugh and think that maybe the "hate for Champion Foods" story teller actually works for Science Diet and has fallen for all those "studies".
As far as stating that she works for a Veterinarian and they have seen so many cases coming in with kidney problems caused by the high protein in Acana or Orijen, all I can say is that after 17 years as a Licensed Veterinary Technician in a very progressive Veterinary hospital with both traditional and Holistic Veterinarians on staff, I can honestly state that over the past 5 years and especially since the big food recalls in '08, we have seen our kidney problem cases drop and we can attribute this to the better foods out there and the wonderful research that our educated clients have done in the food area. They are now aware that feeding the big commercial foods are not all that they are cracked up to be. They are feeding more raw, better proteins, USA or Canadian sourced foods. They are not feeding foods that are grain heavy, they are feeding species appropriate foods.
It is not the amount of protein they are eating that matters, it is the type of proteins they are eating that effect the kidneys. The kidneys need good protein.
Whoever did write the article about Champion needs to read up and research species appropriate whole foods for our pets. Not fall for the propaganda that the huge animal food companies are touting out.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Nov 22, '13 2:47am PST 
bump
[notify]

Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Sun Dec 1, '13 7:12pm PST 
If you cook... the meat...

Wouldn't that be a home cooked diet? I'm sorry. I just can't get past that one part.
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 7:35am PST 
She sounds like one of those people I would just whole-heartedly ignore. It seems like everyone who downs all the premium brands of dog food works as in a vet's office, and apparently they have unlimited knowledge on what my dog needs (or any dog for that matter). I've tried Orijen brand, and personally, if my college job was a lot better I would put both my cats and dog on Orijen food. Pet food Companies have to make money...doesn't any business need to make money? To say all pet food companies are out to get money...is a bit dumb. Because they are, but some companies are very thoughtful of their consumers, like Champion. I don't see very many valid points in her rebuttal to your questions. Seems like she just wants to use her job in a vet's office and her supposed inquiries to 'pet nutritionists' as a solid, singular defense. Apparently, working at a vet's office makes anything you say inarguable (insert mild sarcasm). Also, I wonder if Purina or Science Diet trained that pet nutritionist....

So, I think this woman is bit biased, and she sounds too quick to dismiss you and your cited links. Personally, I think it sounds like she got angry because she probably knew that she was wrong...
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2