GO!

Raised food bowl?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Bella

Barked: Sat Oct 19, '13 7:32pm PST 
Our 3 year pup seems to be bending lower and lower to reach her food bowl. She's started doing this legs out reach to get to the bowl. I'm wondering about getting a raised bowl set up. She is a mutt, but has a deep chest and skinny waist, very muscular, 60 pounds, very active. We've read some online about a raised bowl, but it seems totally confusing, especially concerning bloat.

What do you do?
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Oct 19, '13 10:37pm PST 
If your dog is crouching or splaying her legs a raised dish is appropriate. Raised dishes are recommended for some breeds but that doesn't mean other dogs can't use them.
[notify]
Dante

You know i'm- cute, pet me!

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 12:46pm PST 
I have raised food bowls for both my doberman and my cane corso. It was really more of a concern for the corso as he's a giant breed, but the doberman is still taller than him so I don't feel it hurts. I also like them because they give them nice specific places for their own meals and keeps the bowls from moving around. My corgi just has a bowl on the ground though, she's down there already anyway laugh out loud
[notify]

Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 2:33pm PST 
I'm super interested in what you all have to say. I have heard mixed things about raised bowls so its good to hear what everyone else does. I had heard that raised bowls aid digestion so thats probably got a lot to do with why giant breeds should have raised. My dude gets a bowl on the ground but hes not particularly tall...
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 2:06pm PST 
I am concerned about bloat, as Joey has had a few instances which seemed to be gas-related and very mild cases of bloat. According to the last Purdue study on bloat, one of the recommendations was to NOT use raised bowls, so I feed Joey on a cookie pan on the floor. Of course he is only about a foot or foot and a half tall, so leaning over isn't too difficult for him. I also like the cookie pan (or a muffin pan can be used) because it slows down his eating a bit.

I am still a little confused as to why Purdue recommended non-raised bowls, unless the dog takes in less air that way, which can cause excess gas and bloat, but since I am concerned with bloat, I am taking their recommendation to heart. Of course, I still have Joey's water bowl elevated, so it's a bit of a mixed bag.

If anyone can find the actual Purdue study on line, I'd love to have the link.
[notify]
Dante

You know i'm- cute, pet me!

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 12:18pm PST 
Joey is this it?

https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/2005/Summer/canine-ac d.htm

I've heard alot of varying things too, so i'm not even sure anymore, gonna have to do some more research. In my mind it made sense to me for tall dogs because it seems like they would gulp LESS air when it is shoulder height than when it is on the floor.
I'm on the fence right now because while I do understand it is more "natural" to be eating off the ground, people have bred dogs far beyond what is natural in size for their wild cousins, and feed a VERY unnatural diet of kibble. So i disagree on the part where they talk about the small meals all day, just because I feed raw and do believe in one meal a day for adults. My doberman does very well on it, and Dante is starting to wean himself that way too, though I'm still trying to feed him twice a day. They get their RMBs on the floor anyway so it's only half their meals that are fed out of the bowls, so I dunno shrug More research happening now
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 5:57pm PST 
I did see that Purdue info before, but while it's helpful, it doesn't appear to be information on their actual study. I've seen summaries of the study, but can't find the actual one!

Dante, if you find any good info, please let us know! It appears that bloat is caused more by gulping air than eating a particular food, but I've always wondered about that, as bloating in humans seems to be associated more with food than air! For example, beans and other carbs seem to produce gas. Now that most of the kibble manufacturers and canned dog food manufacturers are jumping on the band wagon, commercial dog foods seem to have a lot of carbs like peas replacing the dreaded grains. I wonder if these foods cause gas or bloat in dogs, since they apparently don't have the enzyme needed to easily digest them.
[notify]