GO!

How much to feed?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Penny Lane

I always get my- way!

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 8:16am PST 
Penny is 7months old and weighs just over 13lbs. She was on the Merrick Puppy formula and now because she is a picky eater she is on the BB Wilderness Duck. She eats about 1 1/4 per day. I compared the fat and protein levels of the foods and the BB actually has more fat and protein than the Merrick Puppy so should she be ok with this amount? She also gets about 1/4 cup maybe a bit more of the BB Wilderness Duck (canned) about 2x a week. I give the dogs canned food as a treat about 2x a week sometimes only once a week. Thanks for the help big grinbig grin
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 7:32pm PST 
Put your hands on her to feel her condition. 1.25 cups of kibble a day is a lot for an adult 13 pound dog but she is a pup, it could be perfect, too much or not enough. It is healthier for a pup to be lean, if you cannot feel her ribs, backbone, hips, shoulders and keel bone she probably needs a little less food. If any of those bony parts is prominent then feed her a little bit more. Next week she may need more or less food to be a good weight so adjust as needed.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 8:39pm PST 
Agree with everything Maxwell said. Its really tough to us to know how much to feed your dog since every dog has different metabolism levels, exercise levels etc. What you are feeding sounds about right to me, but the best way to know is to check her body condition. You should be able to feel her ribs and she should have a round "soup can" for a waist etc. If in doubt you can double check with your vet way to go
[notify]

Penny Lane

I always get my- way!

Barked: Sat Oct 12, '13 8:25am PST 
Thank you so much Benny and Maxwell! I can feel her bones but not see them and she is a pretty active puppy. I have two other large dogs and she is constantly playing with the younger one and she goes on two walks per day so maybe she needs a bit more than most pups her size? I certainly don't want her to be overweight but I want to make sure she gets enough. The other two are a good weight. I actually had to put a bit of weight on my Rottie because she was underweight (my ignorant ex BIL was not feeding her properly) now she is good. I guess I will just keep an eye on miss Penny and adjust as needed.
[notify]